2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Love - Hate Relationship
By casper42 on 03/09/11 14:18 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is my very first love-hate relationship and it's with my TDI Golf. VW clearly has design problems. The most dangerous issue is the engine can occasionally lose all power under hard acceleration for 3-5 seconds followed by engine roaring to life with a cloud of white smoke out the tailpipe. VW can not diagnose or replicate complaint, but NHTSA has many complaints of this for the 2009-2010 diesel. The seat fabric is inferior and frays, the clutch on the 6 speed manual is very easy to stall with long clutch travel but very short engagement. I also suspect inferior glass in windshield, as today I have a total of two rock chips and one huge crack...1st crack in 32 years of driving!

I love this car!
By chuck54633 on 02/21/11 21:56 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded my 2008 VW Rabbit 2.5L 4dr in on this car. What an improvement, the interior and exterior changes are great improvements over the '08. The diesel engine was the primary motivation for the change. Who would have thought that a car that gets much better fuel economy would be so much faster and more fun to drive. I like that they changed back to the name golf and made the car more masculine looking. The rabbit was such a chick car.

Great Car Bad Clutch
By Jeff on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Test Drove Mini Cooper, VW Golf TDI, and Jetta TDI. I bought the Golf TDI with the six speed, and returned it a week later for a Jetta TDI with the DSG. Loved everything about the Golf except for the clutch. The RPM's drop so low when starting that the car is easy to stall on mild hills. Hill hold brake assist would really make the car an absolute perfect car to drive. This feature is standard in the Mini Cooper. If mini can do it for $21K, then I think VW can do it in all of their cars. Hill hold is only available in the Pasaat. Other than the clutch, the performance, comfort, and styling were amazing. Essentially it is the GTI with a diesel engine!

Great Car, but switched 1wk later
By Jack Smith on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I bought this car with a six speed stick shift. I could not get used to the clutch, and sadly I returned it a week later. I test drove the VW and the Mini Cooper at the same time. Over all the VW had the mini beat on standard features, and comfort. The stick on the VW shifts like butter while the Mini seemed notchy. The mini cooper had a feature that the VW TDI absolutely needs! Hill Hold Brake Assist! This feature is only available on the Passat. If Mini can do this for $21000, then VW should be able to for $23K. The TDI is very easy to stall on hills due to the clutch, and low RPMs. My dealer let me trade the Golf TDI for a Jetta TDI with the dsg.

Great car!
By Jackie on 07/13/10 09:14 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

So far I love my car! I bought this after driving a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser to 330,000 miles, but needed a more fuel efficient car for my commute @ 90 miles/day. This has been a great little car, I average 50.5mpg per 15 gal tank - highway and city driving combined. It has a decent amount of pick up and go and it's a TON of fun to drive! The only real complaint I have is that it isn't completely sealed and it whistles > 45 mph, it doesn't leak water,just bothersome. The seats fold pretty flat and the cargo area can hold ~3 large bales of hay + 3 bags of feed with room to spare and the back seats are pretty comfortable even for people over 6'. I'd buy another for sure!

Nice Car
By Jeff on 03/25/10 10:55 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded in a '09 Jetta tdi, and '07 Rabbit and bought this '10 Golf tdi and Eos. We have a '09 Jetta tdi Sportwagon. The Golf is very quiet and unbelievable on economy. We have 3500 miles on it and it's best is 54mpg, with an overall average of 48.5mpg, and this is winter here in Wisconsin. Once fully broken-in during the summer we could see close to 60mpg. This is much better than the '09 Sportwagon which is getting at best in the mid 40s, but that is still not fully broken-in. The Golf has plenty of power and great handling for a front wheel drive car.

Wow, what a joy to drive
By adstein on 12/12/09 15:41 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This car is an amazing blend of efficiency and performance. Fit and finish is fantastic. Handling is superb, like a go cart. The only drawback is that no upgrade options are available for the interior - no leather or color options just black cloth.

Get ready for take off....Golf TDI 2010
By Arnold in Wichita on 12/03/09 17:00 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Just bought a new 2010 Golf TDI, moving up from a 95 Golf III Sport, Fantastic. Fun to drive. Picked up on Wed and drove to Denver overnight for Thanksgiving. Handled perfectly all night. Took it to Loveland Pass, 11,099 ft, and to Breckenridge while there and it performed great, just ate up the mountains. Plenty of power to eat up the switchbacks and the altitude. Room for stuff in back i.e. groceries, bike w/wheels off, need a bike roof rack now, and luggage too. Love the 6 speed manual 80 mph at 2,200 rpm. A real solid car and really fun to drive too. Great, best VW I have owned. Best drive to Denve I have ever had. 1,500 miles in first week. Everything Bob in R.I says and more. later

EXCELLENT VALUE in TDI form
By mtlangley on 12/01/09 07:05 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Fit and finish is great, as with most german made autos!! Drives like a sports car, but feels like a luxury car on the inside. If your going to buy one you should opt for the TDI it gets real 48 mpg on the highway!! The TDI also comes loaded, the only options I added was moonroof and bluetooth at 1200 extra for both. If your thinking hybrid, take a look at this clean burning diesel (WORLD CAR OF THE YEAR) you won't be disappointed!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel in NJ is:

$199 per month*