Used 2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Love the car, VW not so much
By Barry Fisher

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

TDI has great performance and MPG, especially on the Freeway. I find it handles very well, has great power and torque. But now I probably will not keep this car. I had an estimate done here on Edmunds and I can't tell if the estimate takes into account the total dump in re-saleability of the car due to the emissions debacle. though we don't know what the fix is going to be, by all estimates it will involve a loss of MPG and power. I actually would get a Jetta to replace it but want to try to wait till 2017 models if I can, it is hopeful the Jetta will have the same chassis as the Golf's now do. Or maybe a GTI, but then that's pretty expensive. Even though the settlement has been announced and some of the terms have been revealed, I haven't been contacted by VW to present my options.

20,000 mile update
By fcwarrior

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have been generally amazed at how much I like my Golf TDI. I came from an Audi S4 so less power is very obvious but the diesel torque curve is so good this car is really enjoyable up in the Rockies. MPG is about 36-38 in winter and 38-40 in summer. Longer trips will average 41-44 but I have seen 52 mpg on a 120 mile freeway trip and 5-8 mpg on a really cold morning commute:} I think the Fuel Injection and Engine Management electronics are very rudimentary and you can feel it compensating all the time for hills and other situations. Turbo lag is nothing like as bad as in a Mini but is still very noticeable. Putting it in Sport certainly helps but then mpg plummets.

The seats especially the driver's are amazingly comfortable and much better than the Recaros in my Audi. However the quality of the cloth seat covers is extraordinarily low quality and had to be replaced at the 10,000 mile service and is now looking quite threadbare now too. Incredible in this day and age and the Dealer says so far it cannot do anything about it again. I only weigh 190lbs too. I would definitely ask your Salesperson about it........this is why I gave it a 1 for build quality. The radio is very good and I didn't get the upgraded one.

Obviously change the seat cloth to one that lasts longer than a few thousand miles Upgrade the Engine Controls

No regrets
By motorstreet

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is a great car, it's roomy, fun to drive, really well built, pretty fast, and incredibly fuel-efficient.
I get 43-45 mpg in my commute, mid 50's on the highway (I got 59 mpg recently), and mid 30's in the city.
The Golf is surprisingly good in the winter (I put snow tires on it), it got through over foot of snow in my driveway pretty easily last winter.
This car constantly surprises me with its talents.

Everything is easy to use, excellent fuel economy, surprisingly refined engine, quiet, nice transmission, tons of space, great seats, comfortable ride, good steering (it is a little numb), great back seat, very nimble, great visibility, and excellent quality.

Ideally the 170hp 2.0 TDI from Europe, the European GTD's styling would be great, a little weight loss (as long as it doesn't hurt safety), and possibly a 7 speed manual (currently one doesn't exist other than the 991 Porsche 911)

Love - Hate Relationship
By casper42

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is my very first love-hate relationship and it's with my TDI Golf.
VW clearly has design problems.
The most dangerous issue is the engine can occasionally lose all power under hard acceleration for 3-5 seconds followed by engine roaring to life with a cloud of white smoke out the tailpipe.
VW can not diagnose or replicate complaint, but NHTSA has many complaints of this for the 2009-2010 diesel.
The seat fabric is inferior and frays, the clutch on the 6 speed manual is very easy to stall with long clutch travel but very short engagement.
I also suspect inferior glass in windshield, as today I have a total of two rock chips and one huge crack...1st crack in 32 years of driving!

great value for the money, 40+ mpg is great, comfort, performance and handling are superior

quality control clearly needs to improve with VW. The manufacture also appears to have a lack of communication with local dealers. All the complaints above minus the windshield are very common to read about online in forums but dealership claims they never heard of these complaints...or they just don't want to do anything about it. Also this car has a weird door rubber seal/weather stripping problem causing the seals to rub against one another making creaking sounds like a leather jacket. VW solution: lubricate the door seals, but it wipes/rubs off over time.

I love this car!
By chuck54633

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded my 2008 VW Rabbit 2.5L 4dr in on this car. What an improvement, the interior and exterior changes are great improvements over the '08. The diesel engine was the primary motivation for the change. Who would have thought that a car that gets much better fuel economy would be so much faster and more fun to drive.
I like that they changed back to the name golf and made the car more masculine looking.
The rabbit was such a chick car.

MPG.. I used to get about 18mpg in the gasoline version of the same car in mixed city highway driving. Now I am getting 35 - 38mpg doing the same driving. 1800rpm on the highway. The sound and performance of the turbo diesel engine. This thing is a rocket around town and the manual trans is a joy to operate. The suspension, tires and seats in this car make it feel like a GTI with a diesel engine, it's just the car I wanted and I'm glad they optioned it that way. The blue tooth hands free system is great and I love the steering wheel mounted audio controls.

Touch screen stereo controls are easy enough to use, but have that typical german esoteric quality where I end up having to constantly teach myself how to skip to the next CD in the changer over and over. It should be easier. Something in the door latch/jam area of the car is very noisy and rattly, I'm thinking there must be a TSB about it, I find it very annoying for a car that is so solidly built to squeek and rattle this much. It takes a while to learn to move this car from a stop with the 6spd manual without stalling it. The salesman at the dealership stalled it three times. I have it worked out now, and it's probably just the nature of driving a diesel, they perform differently.