2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2010 Golf Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Sort Reviews by

20,000 mile update
By fcwarrior

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have been generally amazed at how much I like my Golf TDI. I came from an Audi S4 so less power is very obvious but the diesel torque curve is so good this car is really enjoyable up in the Rockies. MPG is about 36-38 in winter and 38-40 in summer. Longer trips will average 41-44 but I have seen 52 mpg on a 120 mile freeway trip and 5-8 mpg on a really cold morning commute:} I think the Fuel Injection and Engine Management electronics are very rudimentary and you can feel it compensating all the time for hills and other situations. Turbo lag is nothing like as bad as in a Mini but is still very noticeable. Putting it in Sport certainly helps but then mpg plummets.

Favorite Features

The seats especially the driver's are amazingly comfortable and much better than the Recaros in my Audi. However the quality of the cloth seat covers is extraordinarily low quality and had to be replaced at the 10,000 mile service and is now looking quite threadbare now too. Incredible in this day and age and the Dealer says so far it cannot do anything about it again. I only weigh 190lbs too. I would definitely ask your Salesperson about it........this is why I gave it a 1 for build quality. The radio is very good and I didn't get the upgraded one.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously change the seat cloth to one that lasts longer than a few thousand miles Upgrade the Engine Controls

No regrets
By motorstreet

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is a great car, it's roomy, fun to drive, really well built, pretty fast, and incredibly fuel-efficient. I get 43-45 mpg in my commute, mid 50's on the highway (I got 59 mpg recently), and mid 30's in the city. The Golf is surprisingly good in the winter (I put snow tires on it), it got through over foot of snow in my driveway pretty easily last winter. This car constantly surprises me with its talents.

Favorite Features

Everything is easy to use, excellent fuel economy, surprisingly refined engine, quiet, nice transmission, tons of space, great seats, comfortable ride, good steering (it is a little numb), great back seat, very nimble, great visibility, and excellent quality.

Suggested Improvements

Ideally the 170hp 2.0 TDI from Europe, the European GTD's styling would be great, a little weight loss (as long as it doesn't hurt safety), and possibly a 7 speed manual (currently one doesn't exist other than the 991 Porsche 911)

Love - Hate Relationship
By casper42

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is my very first love-hate relationship and it's with my TDI Golf. VW clearly has design problems. The most dangerous issue is the engine can occasionally lose all power under hard acceleration for 3-5 seconds followed by engine roaring to life with a cloud of white smoke out the tailpipe. VW can not diagnose or replicate complaint, but NHTSA has many complaints of this for the 2009-2010 diesel. The seat fabric is inferior and frays, the clutch on the 6 speed manual is very easy to stall with long clutch travel but very short engagement. I also suspect inferior glass in windshield, as today I have a total of two rock chips and one huge crack...1st crack in 32 years of driving!

Favorite Features

great value for the money, 40+ mpg is great, comfort, performance and handling are superior

Suggested Improvements

quality control clearly needs to improve with VW. The manufacture also appears to have a lack of communication with local dealers. All the complaints above minus the windshield are very common to read about online in forums but dealership claims they never heard of these complaints...or they just don't want to do anything about it. Also this car has a weird door rubber seal/weather stripping problem causing the seals to rub against one another making creaking sounds like a leather jacket. VW solution: lubricate the door seals, but it wipes/rubs off over time.

I love this car!
By chuck54633

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded my 2008 VW Rabbit 2.5L 4dr in on this car. What an improvement, the interior and exterior changes are great improvements over the '08. The diesel engine was the primary motivation for the change. Who would have thought that a car that gets much better fuel economy would be so much faster and more fun to drive. I like that they changed back to the name golf and made the car more masculine looking. The rabbit was such a chick car.

Favorite Features

MPG.. I used to get about 18mpg in the gasoline version of the same car in mixed city highway driving. Now I am getting 35 - 38mpg doing the same driving. 1800rpm on the highway. The sound and performance of the turbo diesel engine. This thing is a rocket around town and the manual trans is a joy to operate. The suspension, tires and seats in this car make it feel like a GTI with a diesel engine, it's just the car I wanted and I'm glad they optioned it that way. The blue tooth hands free system is great and I love the steering wheel mounted audio controls.

Suggested Improvements

Touch screen stereo controls are easy enough to use, but have that typical german esoteric quality where I end up having to constantly teach myself how to skip to the next CD in the changer over and over. It should be easier. Something in the door latch/jam area of the car is very noisy and rattly, I'm thinking there must be a TSB about it, I find it very annoying for a car that is so solidly built to squeek and rattle this much. It takes a while to learn to move this car from a stop with the 6spd manual without stalling it. The salesman at the dealership stalled it three times. I have it worked out now, and it's probably just the nature of driving a diesel, they perform differently.

10,000 Update
By deusexmaxima

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After 10K miles in 7 months (drove from Atlanta, where I bought it, to Los Angeles), I'm happy to say that my TDI has exceeded my expectations. Reliability has been excellent, other than the TPMS warning light that was fixed with a software update. My best mileage has been 52.5 mpg, and the solidity has held up pretty well, even over rough LA freeways. Acceleration is as spirited as ever, and I still marvel at the sport seats every time I sit in them (I'm almost 6'3", and achieving this kind of comfort in a small car is no easy feat). Does anyone (who doesn't have ten kids or weigh more than 400 lbs) really need more than this car offers? In my opinion, no.

Favorite Features

Frugality, seat comfort, versatility of hatchback, and of course, all that torque….a lot of guilt-free fun. The car covers all points of debate favorably, and rarely leaves you with any lingering sense of compromise. That, to me, is the sign of a great automobile.

Suggested Improvements

Better storage in center console.

Bestnof both world
By Samberken

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Purchased mine in June to take advantage of Fed incentive. Very happy with the car so far after 3000 miles. Good pick up, good range in city driving, easier access than A3.good leg room, seats are more upright than A3. Only option I took was the xenon light. I find this car has most of the convenience in luxury cars. Tilted tele steering wheel, temporary turn signal, adjustable centre armrest, adaptive light, automatic lock.

Favorite Features

Milage, xenon light with turning feature, upright siting, acceleration, seat material, iPod connection,remote has very long range,white dash light, speed limit alarm

Suggested Improvements

Roof line material seems thin, small item may be hard to retrieve at the back of side pocket, windshield fog up easily, very slow in reading iPod (selecting playlist etc) , plastic steering wheel feel instead of leather, tire has average grip, narrow torque range , glasses storage too small,

tdi is a secret
By cdlargo

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

My little TDI has a secret. It drives like a sports car and gets 40 real world mpg. I usually get tired of new cars fast. I didnt want to give up my 3 series, but I had to..-$ On the bright side, I love this car. It handles very well, has great seats, outstanding steering feel, plenty of grip and 236 ft lbs RIGHT NOW, its sooo entertaining. For my 35 mile one way commute, I can't imagine a better car. I was afraid I would miss my bimmer and I do... a little. But this car makes driving fun the way no japanese car can. My only criticism is that 1st gear is short and not very usable. This car is quicker than the numbers say once you get out of 1st, HEHE.

Great Car Bad Clutch
By Jeff

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Test Drove Mini Cooper, VW Golf TDI, and Jetta TDI. I bought the Golf TDI with the six speed, and returned it a week later for a Jetta TDI with the DSG. Loved everything about the Golf except for the clutch. The RPM's drop so low when starting that the car is easy to stall on mild hills. Hill hold brake assist would really make the car an absolute perfect car to drive. This feature is standard in the Mini Cooper. If mini can do it for $21K, then I think VW can do it in all of their cars. Hill hold is only available in the Pasaat. Other than the clutch, the performance, comfort, and styling were amazing. Essentially it is the GTI with a diesel engine!

Favorite Features

Styling, performance, handling. Standard features are amazing! Sat radio, lowered suspension, sport seats. VW's six speed shifts with no effort. In the corners the car sticks. No lean, and no diving when you hit the brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Clutch! Make hill hold brake assist a feature on this car. The diesel engine is too easy to stall on a mild incline. On wet,snowy or iced roads the car would be a monster to handle.

Great Car, but switched 1wk later
By Jack Smith

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I bought this car with a six speed stick shift. I could not get used to the clutch, and sadly I returned it a week later. I test drove the VW and the Mini Cooper at the same time. Over all the VW had the mini beat on standard features, and comfort. The stick on the VW shifts like butter while the Mini seemed notchy. The mini cooper had a feature that the VW TDI absolutely needs! Hill Hold Brake Assist! This feature is only available on the Passat. If Mini can do this for $21000, then VW should be able to for $23K. The TDI is very easy to stall on hills due to the clutch, and low RPMs. My dealer let me trade the Golf TDI for a Jetta TDI with the dsg.

Favorite Features

Standard Features. Bluetooth, Sirius Sat, Smooth Shifting Gear Box. Sport seats, 17" wheels, sport suspension. Comfort, handling, performance. Character! It is essentially the GTI with a Diesel engine. Gas Mileage. I averaged 34 City.

Suggested Improvements

The clutch! Add the hill hold brake assist feature as standard. This car absolutely needs it. RPM's drop too low on hills, and the car is too easy to stall.

2010 Golf TDI 4dr Silver
By Tom

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Was in market for a bit 'more' than a Civic or Corolla (last car I owned). The Golf seems more solid, quiet, smooth, I mean it's very smooth, no engine vibration. Seats are firm, handling is good, but, if you really push it, you will want the GTI - which I considered, but wanted the TDI (for the mileage). I am getting 44.1 mpg (so far), city/highway. Had minor problem with oil leak - dealer said bad O-ring on intercooler. Had to wait 2 days for part, but dealer set me up with (free) loaner. Not all bad I guess. This car is FUN to drive. Hit the radio, open the sunroof, and Drive! It simply has a much better driving feel when compared to similar cars, and the 6 speed manual is VERY smooth!!

Favorite Features

6 speed manual transmission, tires, bluetooth, radio, MP3 cable (this allows you to control your iPod with the controls on the car so you don't have to dig for your iPod when driving), clean/simple instrumentation, torque, leather- wrapped and smaller size steering wheel, very quiet interior.

Suggested Improvements

Other interior colors (other than black), a detent position (to denote closed) on the sunroof dial, have either bigger or brighter ink on the icons used to label the vent positions as the dial kind of hides the icons when viewed from driver seat.