2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
20,000 mile update
By fcwarrior on 01/22/12 21:17 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have been generally amazed at how much I like my Golf TDI. I came from an Audi S4 so less power is very obvious but the diesel torque curve is so good this car is really enjoyable up in the Rockies. MPG is about 36-38 in winter and 38-40 in summer. Longer trips will average 41-44 but I have seen 52 mpg on a 120 mile freeway trip and 5-8 mpg on a really cold morning commute:} I think the Fuel Injection and Engine Management electronics are very rudimentary and you can feel it compensating all the time for hills and other situations. Turbo lag is nothing like as bad as in a Mini but is still very noticeable. Putting it in Sport certainly helps but then mpg plummets.

No regrets
By motorstreet on 11/02/11 17:29 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is a great car, it's roomy, fun to drive, really well built, pretty fast, and incredibly fuel-efficient. I get 43-45 mpg in my commute, mid 50's on the highway (I got 59 mpg recently), and mid 30's in the city. The Golf is surprisingly good in the winter (I put snow tires on it), it got through over foot of snow in my driveway pretty easily last winter. This car constantly surprises me with its talents.

Love - Hate Relationship
By casper42 on 03/09/11 14:18 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is my very first love-hate relationship and it's with my TDI Golf. VW clearly has design problems. The most dangerous issue is the engine can occasionally lose all power under hard acceleration for 3-5 seconds followed by engine roaring to life with a cloud of white smoke out the tailpipe. VW can not diagnose or replicate complaint, but NHTSA has many complaints of this for the 2009-2010 diesel. The seat fabric is inferior and frays, the clutch on the 6 speed manual is very easy to stall with long clutch travel but very short engagement. I also suspect inferior glass in windshield, as today I have a total of two rock chips and one huge crack...1st crack in 32 years of driving!

I love this car!
By chuck54633 on 02/21/11 21:56 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded my 2008 VW Rabbit 2.5L 4dr in on this car. What an improvement, the interior and exterior changes are great improvements over the '08. The diesel engine was the primary motivation for the change. Who would have thought that a car that gets much better fuel economy would be so much faster and more fun to drive. I like that they changed back to the name golf and made the car more masculine looking. The rabbit was such a chick car.

10,000 Update
By deusexmaxima on 12/17/10 14:39 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After 10K miles in 7 months (drove from Atlanta, where I bought it, to Los Angeles), I'm happy to say that my TDI has exceeded my expectations. Reliability has been excellent, other than the TPMS warning light that was fixed with a software update. My best mileage has been 52.5 mpg, and the solidity has held up pretty well, even over rough LA freeways. Acceleration is as spirited as ever, and I still marvel at the sport seats every time I sit in them (I'm almost 6'3", and achieving this kind of comfort in a small car is no easy feat). Does anyone (who doesn't have ten kids or weigh more than 400 lbs) really need more than this car offers? In my opinion, no.

Bestnof both world
By Samberken on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Purchased mine in June to take advantage of Fed incentive. Very happy with the car so far after 3000 miles. Good pick up, good range in city driving, easier access than A3.good leg room, seats are more upright than A3. Only option I took was the xenon light. I find this car has most of the convenience in luxury cars. Tilted tele steering wheel, temporary turn signal, adjustable centre armrest, adaptive light, automatic lock.

tdi is a secret
By cdlargo on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

My little TDI has a secret. It drives like a sports car and gets 40 real world mpg. I usually get tired of new cars fast. I didnt want to give up my 3 series, but I had to..-$ On the bright side, I love this car. It handles very well, has great seats, outstanding steering feel, plenty of grip and 236 ft lbs RIGHT NOW, its sooo entertaining. For my 35 mile one way commute, I can't imagine a better car. I was afraid I would miss my bimmer and I do... a little. But this car makes driving fun the way no japanese car can. My only criticism is that 1st gear is short and not very usable. This car is quicker than the numbers say once you get out of 1st, HEHE.

Great Car, but switched 1wk later
By Jack Smith on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I bought this car with a six speed stick shift. I could not get used to the clutch, and sadly I returned it a week later. I test drove the VW and the Mini Cooper at the same time. Over all the VW had the mini beat on standard features, and comfort. The stick on the VW shifts like butter while the Mini seemed notchy. The mini cooper had a feature that the VW TDI absolutely needs! Hill Hold Brake Assist! This feature is only available on the Passat. If Mini can do this for $21000, then VW should be able to for $23K. The TDI is very easy to stall on hills due to the clutch, and low RPMs. My dealer let me trade the Golf TDI for a Jetta TDI with the dsg.

Great Car Bad Clutch
By Jeff on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Test Drove Mini Cooper, VW Golf TDI, and Jetta TDI. I bought the Golf TDI with the six speed, and returned it a week later for a Jetta TDI with the DSG. Loved everything about the Golf except for the clutch. The RPM's drop so low when starting that the car is easy to stall on mild hills. Hill hold brake assist would really make the car an absolute perfect car to drive. This feature is standard in the Mini Cooper. If mini can do it for $21K, then I think VW can do it in all of their cars. Hill hold is only available in the Pasaat. Other than the clutch, the performance, comfort, and styling were amazing. Essentially it is the GTI with a diesel engine!

2010 Golf TDI 4dr Silver
By Tom on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Was in market for a bit 'more' than a Civic or Corolla (last car I owned). The Golf seems more solid, quiet, smooth, I mean it's very smooth, no engine vibration. Seats are firm, handling is good, but, if you really push it, you will want the GTI - which I considered, but wanted the TDI (for the mileage). I am getting 44.1 mpg (so far), city/highway. Had minor problem with oil leak - dealer said bad O-ring on intercooler. Had to wait 2 days for part, but dealer set me up with (free) loaner. Not all bad I guess. This car is FUN to drive. Hit the radio, open the sunroof, and Drive! It simply has a much better driving feel when compared to similar cars, and the 6 speed manual is VERY smooth!!

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel in VA is:

$106 per month*