Used 2010 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2010 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Fast, frugal and fun!!!
By jbartuski

2010 Volkswagen Golf 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought early December 2012. Had only 27k on the odometer. Mine is a silver 5-speed 2.5L... base everything... only option is the Cold Weather package. So far I absolutely love this thing. It's sharp looking without being too flashy or attracting unwanted attention. Sub 8 second 0-60 times... and a huge grin every time you take a corner. Tiny outside but will swallow giant items. It's very safe, cheap to insure, and economical at the gas pump. No problems to report after 5,000 miles with the car itself. El cheapo standard equipment Conti tires are garbage, and will soon be replaced. They do not hold air in cold weather.

Favorite Features

Pretty much everything. Fun, fast, and economical vehicle!!! The MK6 is beautiful in person, substantially more than the MK5s. I'm 6'2" and lanky... and the Golf fits like a glove. Fun, fast, and economical vehicle!!! The seats are incredible - the fabric holds you in place during spirited driving, and no fatigue even after hours behind the wheel. Butt warmers are essential for MN winters !!! Stereo sounds great... even with the base head unit that was phased out in 2011. 2.5L motor is a great balance of economy, reliability, and performance. Mk6 is your last chance for a true, Wolfsburg-made Golf.

Suggested Improvements

Rear seat access. The 4-door should be available with a manual transmission without spending another $5-10k on a TDI or GTI. VWofA is penalizing stick shift drivers with that model lineup move... which is one of their strongest niche markets. Better OEM tires. Upgrade base stereo - VW did this in 2011. Fuel economy could be better... the MK7's turbo 2.0L will fix this, but at what reliability cost? Ummm... put the lame-duck new Jetta back on the awesome Golf chassis??? =]

I love my new VW!
By Sarah

2010 Volkswagen Golf 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

My dad's first car was a 1983 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI that he still drives and it still runs great, so I knew exactly what I wanted when I was looking for my first car (GTI was my first choice, but a little pricey :/). First time manual driver, but the car is so forgiving and so fun once I figured it out. I test drove the Fit, Fiesta, Sonata, Focus, Nissan Versa, and Fusion. No other car in this price range even came close. You just can't beat the styling and drive of a German car. Has tons of room for the rear seats, drives solidly and quietly at 80+ on the highway, and also is really maneuverable in city traffic. I'm getting about 33 mpg driving on highways about 70% of the time.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, Bluetooth, lane change signals, manual transmission (the manuals on comparable cars weren't great), styling of the car both inside and out, and lots of room for such a small-looking car. It's a car that I know I'll have for a long long time and it'll still look great 20 years from now.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is a little on the low side for comparable vehicles. One bigger cupholder in the front would be nice, since I have to reach around to put my coffee in the rear center cupholder. The option of alloy wheels on the 2.5L would be nice.

2010 golf
By johnmck

2010 Volkswagen Golf 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The interior is nice, but with a gap in the center console.The engine has good torque, but runs out of steam on the top end.The ride is firm, but there is body lean. This car starts to feel a little "floaty" at higher speeds on the highway (above 85). There was some initial quality issues. Shifting is better than some, but not as nice as my 2000 celica, which I do miss more than I thought I would since buying the Golf. I do like this car though, and I thought it was nicer than the civic or the tc I test drove. In closing I feel the need to be critical about the throttle by wire. It lacks any real feel.It seems like it could be calibrated much better.

Favorite Features

Nice interior, good torque. Sort of fun to drive. AUX jack for Ipod. Tight feeling body Structure.

Suggested Improvements

Well, I know it's not the GTI, but could we get some more power and handling. Thottle by wire is terrible, really bad. Weather strip should not come loose on a new car, and the seat beal buckle should not come loose because a bolt fell out either.

A Solid Little Car
By Joe

2010 Volkswagen Golf 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I'm surprised by the smooth ride and the low end torque.The gas mileage is alot better than my 2008 Mazda 3 and absords bumps better and the engine is quiet. It handles great as it corners nice and the steering is tight. The cabin is topshelf like a cockpit with nevery thing in you line of sight. I tried the Civic and my Golf rides so much smoother and the Mazda was bad, too much road an engine noise.

Favorite Features

heated seats ,bluetooth the safety they built into the sunroof and sports car feel

Suggested Improvements

Armrest

From a Focus to a Golf.......
By Dave H

2010 Volkswagen Golf 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased the 2010 Golf as a replacement for a 2006 Ford Focus. Going from the little Ford to the Golf is the difference between night and day. More power, better ride, tighter feel on the road - I mean really..... it's a whole different car. I wanted a three door hatchback so that meant either a Yaris, an Accent or the Golf. There is no comparison between the three cars - The Golf is the clear winner even though it costs more and gets less miles per gallon. The VW is just simply a much better value for the money.

Favorite Features

Interior, solid "thunk" of the doors when you close them and overall build quality.

Suggested Improvements

A console arm rest on the base model.