No good
By rover on
2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)
My 2006 Volkswagen Golf has too many faults. Beneath that classy exterior and interior lies a medicore engine (at best) and shocking reliablity. So far, roughly 20 things have things have gone wrong wth my car, including the tire jack collapsing, two locks broken, and two engine misfires. I'm the only one using the car, so there is no evidence of heavy usage (why does the passenger lock break if nobody ever uses that door?) There is much too much oversteer when cornering, maybe because it handles very well and therefore you tend to drive fast around corners, however, if you want the car, get it with EPS (stability control) to avoid this problem. The fuel economy is poor - around 12 liters city, and 9 liters hwy.
Favorite Features
High quality interior better than cars costing twice as much. It handles well but, the noisy gruff engine and lots of road noise spoil the experience. It would be perfect with a good engine but not worth the money.
Suggested Improvements
Everything really. This car is very outdated. It's clean, timeless design belies its age (first introduced in Europe in 1997 - 8 years ago). I would NOT recommend it. Wait for the replacement rather than buy this small dinosaur.