2006 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Best car I've owned
By john Berthelot on 06/03/06 18:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was looking for a car for traveling back and forth to Florida and one that gets good fuel miliage. I have had a place for about the last four years in Delray FL which is 1,150 miles from my New Jersey home. I had a Mercedes 500 which by the way was a beautiful handling car. I watched SUV's back and forth and was considerating getting the Mercedes SUV. I researched the gas milage and price and decided not to buy it. Years ago I had a diesel VW pickup that I ran to death and got great gas milage. I looked up on the net the features and price of the new VW's and bought one.

Nick's Review
By NickDouglas on 05/17/06 10:18 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car has been a dream. It gets 44 mpg combined and I don't drive slowly. It has more than enough power and great acceleration even with 4 passengers. I am waiting for the warranty to run out so I can convert the car to run on used cooking oil, no Prius can do that.

Don't understand the Hybrid Hoopla
By smarkway on 04/19/06 10:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Since I purchased my diesel Golf, I have driven 10,000 miles and my miliage has improved from 40/48 to 42/48. I get 600 miles to the tank of fuel on the highway. The only problem to date is a plugged water line for the rear wiper/washer. The cruise contol is ackward to use.

Best MPG for the Buck
By vegas on 02/02/06 12:04 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The buzz surrounding hybrid gas / electric vehicles shamefully ignores the major maintenance expence of a replacement battery for the drive train. Forgetting about the maintenance cost of hybrid vehicles, if you take into account the fact that they usually get less than their stated gas mileage consumers should avoid them. Ask anyone if they get the stated MPG from a hybrid, they don't. Then ask a diesel driver, and they all will report at times getting much better than their vehicle's stated gas mileage. Don't forget that diesels cost $4-5K less up front than hybrids - that has gotta' still mean something. I forgot to mention that CO2 emissions are 25% less from diesel. Regular gasoline is more dirty than diesel fuel.

My Golf
By Larry on 12/25/05 22:42 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2005.5 Volkswagen Golf GLS 6 speed auto. This car is fast, fun to drive, and very comfortable. I realy like it. I feel it was a bargan given the equipment it came with. The cold weather package is a must in the north. My other car is a turbo diesel pickup so I am probaly not a good judge of the handling, but the Golf car is a real treat to drive and and seams to be put together very well.

Diesels rule
By TDIfab on 11/18/05 19:59 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased my 2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI about two weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I have put over 300 miles on it so far and still have a little more than half a tank left, this tank was filled full when I purchased it.

A Workhorse with a High Quality Finish
By Terris on 11/16/05 23:58 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Although our 2003 Golf GL may not be very sporty, we found it to be the only small car that could adjust perfectly to us both (I am over 6 feet tall and my wife is just over 5 feet). We have driven across the country twice and made several other long trips, including camping. The stereo is outstanding! Maintenance is simple and cheap (only every 10,000 miles). The interior quality is better than cars twice the price. It may not be a sports car but its driving manners are perfect, even in the snow (without snow tires in our case). The safety features are incredible. We find its advantages simply crush its disadvantages. The Golf is a real giant of a little car.

No good
By rover on 11/06/05 14:32 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My 2006 Volkswagen Golf has too many faults. Beneath that classy exterior and interior lies a medicore engine (at best) and shocking reliablity. So far, roughly 20 things have things have gone wrong wth my car, including the tire jack collapsing, two locks broken, and two engine misfires. I'm the only one using the car, so there is no evidence of heavy usage (why does the passenger lock break if nobody ever uses that door?) There is much too much oversteer when cornering, maybe because it handles very well and therefore you tend to drive fast around corners, however, if you want the car, get it with EPS (stability control) to avoid this problem. The fuel economy is poor - around 12 liters city, and 9 liters hwy.

VW - Rocks!
By VW-man on 10/14/05 10:02 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My Volkswagen Golf has been a very reliable, fun car to own. I carpool to work and have fit 4 adults in it semi-comfortably. I also have taken it on road-trips with my girl and dog, there is always plenty of room. I am now looking into running "green" diesel (100% clean). Apparently no modifications are needed to accomidate the alternaive fuel.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.