Used 2006 Volkswagen Golf Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Golf Diesel

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Can't keep it on the road. Money Pit
By jimmyd16

2006 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought this car used in 2010 from a vw dealer and I have been disappointed since. I save a lot on fuel but I make up for that with the thousands of dollars I've sunk into it for repairs. I'm probably up to over $10,000 in repairs and that is from thoroughly shopping around and getting the best deal. Dealership sold me a "bumper to bumper" warranty which was voided the moment we took it for an oil change at a non VW dealership.

Favorite Features

I like the heated seats. It's necessary, as it takes 20 minutes for the car itself to heat up in the middle of winter. You can fit a lot in the car. It's very spacious. I like that VW is a respectable corporation.

Suggested Improvements

I don't think I will ever by a vw again. I've been very disapointed. I can't sell it as I owe a lot more on the financing than I could sell it for.

Buy a diesel! Then convert it to HHO hyb
By seamist

2006 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Awesome car made better with HHO system. I wouldn't bother with a VW that's not diesel, why would you? 40-50 mpg race car! How can you get any better?

Favorite Features

The engine, of course.

Suggested Improvements

HHO, deal with a reputable company that has a professional looking system and lots of experience. No do-it-yourself. If you hook it up without putting correctly into the fuse box to a connection that turns off automatically, you will blow it up if it runs all the time!

I love it! 40 mpg minimum
By seamist

2006 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love my TDI! It is fun to drive, comfortable, and fuel economy is great! I am putting a hhoxygen.com hydrogen kit on it this week and it is supposed to double it's mileage. I get up to 50mpg with used ff grease now! Can you imagine 80-100 mpg on McDonald's poison leftovers?

Favorite Features

No top end on the interstate, let's go to Montana!

Suggested Improvements

Better press, it deserves it!

Excellent Little Car!
By Anita

2006 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my second TDI Golf. They are excellent cars, so I've nothing negative to say about them. I've dressed both of mine up a tad. I've added a few holographic "roses" to the door panels, a holographic "Chick Lit" sun shield and a couple other decals on my latest beauty. It's a very smart, classy looking little car that I'd highly recommend to anyone. If you look after it, it will look after you.

Favorite Features

Very well lit interior for night/day driving. Awesome mileage! Nice handling vehicle. I've used mine to tow a trailer (for a wheelchair) with no problem at all. It hardly knew it was there!

Suggested Improvements

I love this car just how it is! I believe "You only live once" so I went for it, and I'm lovin' it!

TDIs are the greatest!
By JD400

2006 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I now have 60000 miles on my Golf TDI and am still astounded by the quality of this little car. Fuel mileage continues to average 45 MPG, and the car remains solid and problem free. I can drive it hard when the mood strikes, but it's also great for hauling stuff. Rear seats fold completely flat, making a nice cargo area. Highly recommended little car. If considering a used TDI, make sure the proper VW spec motor oil was used in the engine. Regular motor oil will gum up the turbo and other engine parts.

Favorite Features

Combination of performance and economy; practicality; comfortable ride; solid feel; good handling; no rattles after 60k.

Suggested Improvements

Interior fabric is not a durable as it should be (some fraying around the driver seat); clunky shifter; wind noise a little higher than it should be.