Used 2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Buy a diesel! Then convert it to HHO hyb
By seamist

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Awesome car made better with HHO system. I wouldn't bother with a VW that's not diesel, why would you? 40-50 mpg race car! How can you get any better?

Favorite Features

The engine, of course.

Suggested Improvements

HHO, deal with a reputable company that has a professional looking system and lots of experience. No do-it-yourself. If you hook it up without putting correctly into the fuse box to a connection that turns off automatically, you will blow it up if it runs all the time!

I love it! 40 mpg minimum
By seamist

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love my TDI! It is fun to drive, comfortable, and fuel economy is great! I am putting a hhoxygen.com hydrogen kit on it this week and it is supposed to double it's mileage. I get up to 50mpg with used ff grease now! Can you imagine 80-100 mpg on McDonald's poison leftovers?

Favorite Features

No top end on the interstate, let's go to Montana!

Suggested Improvements

Better press, it deserves it!

TDIs are the greatest!
By JD400

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I now have 60000 miles on my Golf TDI and am still astounded by the quality of this little car. Fuel mileage continues to average 45 MPG, and the car remains solid and problem free. I can drive it hard when the mood strikes, but it's also great for hauling stuff. Rear seats fold completely flat, making a nice cargo area. Highly recommended little car. If considering a used TDI, make sure the proper VW spec motor oil was used in the engine. Regular motor oil will gum up the turbo and other engine parts.

Favorite Features

Combination of performance and economy; practicality; comfortable ride; solid feel; good handling; no rattles after 60k.

Suggested Improvements

Interior fabric is not a durable as it should be (some fraying around the driver seat); clunky shifter; wind noise a little higher than it should be.

70 mpg
By crazzy

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The Golf GLS TDI is a comfortabe car that gets 70 mpg at 60 mph on flat ground without the A/C on and 47 mpg at 75 mph with the A/C on. It will do extremely high speeds in 5th gear. It even runs great on 20% soy oil or any other kind of veggie oil. The only down side is you must cool down the turbocharger for up to five minutes.

Favorite Features

It handles quite well and stops very well. It accelerates from 2,000 rpm to 4,500 rpm very quickly when it been chipped.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest a turbo cool down system.

Golf TDI
By robert koepp

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is a great little car. I'm glad that I bought it when I did. It seems they are hard to come by. I keep very careful record of my gas mileage and the overall average is approxiately 43 miles/gallon. It is a great little car that seems to be well built.

Favorite Features

I am really impressed with how big the rear cargo area is.

Suggested Improvements

It needs more pin striping, I have to do that on my own.