Used 2006 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Can't keep it on the road. Money Pit
By jimmyd16

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought this car used in 2010 from a vw dealer and I have been disappointed since. I save a lot on fuel but I make up for that with the thousands of dollars I've sunk into it for repairs. I'm probably up to over $10,000 in repairs and that is from thoroughly shopping around and getting the best deal. Dealership sold me a "bumper to bumper" warranty which was voided the moment we took it for an oil change at a non VW dealership.

I like the heated seats. It's necessary, as it takes 20 minutes for the car itself to heat up in the middle of winter. You can fit a lot in the car. It's very spacious. I like that VW is a respectable corporation.

I don't think I will ever by a vw again. I've been very disapointed. I can't sell it as I owe a lot more on the financing than I could sell it for.

My baby
By m33k0n

2006 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Golf back in September, and I was struck by an Impala within the past week..Not sure on the damage yet, but the car did good and I was safe. Golf was a quick car, but the transmission liked to "clunk" when the engine wasn't heated up to 90 for some reason. It is comfortable to sit in for long periods of time, and the seat is very adjustable (i'm 4'11" and it suits me very well!) the stereo sounds amazing compared to other cars I have drove in. (Kia Rio, Fiat 500, Ford F150). The car took to bump roads well. Handles well with sharp turns, and it's great in the snow. It's also been -30 here and it's still working fine.

Handling Stereo Suspension Size Good in snow Cute Good for a first car Decent Price for a very good car Don't have to get power windows, doors, etc. 127,000 and it still drives very well.

Isn't very good on gas, but Volkswagen has an extended warranty on the catalytic converter out at the moment..hoping that is the reason for it. I don't know how to calculate MPG, but I only get 311km to a FULL tank of gas, and I do most city driving. (Automatic/gas)

Buy a diesel! Then convert it to HHO hyb
By seamist

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Awesome car made better with HHO system. I wouldn't bother with a VW that's not diesel, why would you? 40-50 mpg race car! How can you get any better?

The engine, of course.

HHO, deal with a reputable company that has a professional looking system and lots of experience. No do-it-yourself. If you hook it up without putting correctly into the fuse box to a connection that turns off automatically, you will blow it up if it runs all the time!

I love it! 40 mpg minimum
By seamist

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love my TDI! It is fun to drive, comfortable, and fuel economy is great! I am putting a hhoxygen.com hydrogen kit on it this week and it is supposed to double it's mileage. I get up to 50mpg with used ff grease now! Can you imagine 80-100 mpg on McDonald's poison leftovers?

No top end on the interstate, let's go to Montana!

Better press, it deserves it!

Excellent Little Car!
By Anita

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my second TDI Golf. They are excellent cars, so I've nothing negative to say about them. I've dressed both of mine up a tad. I've added a few holographic "roses" to the door panels, a holographic "Chick Lit" sun shield and a couple other decals on my latest beauty. It's a very smart, classy looking little car that I'd highly recommend to anyone. If you look after it, it will look after you.

Very well lit interior for night/day driving. Awesome mileage! Nice handling vehicle. I've used mine to tow a trailer (for a wheelchair) with no problem at all. It hardly knew it was there!

I love this car just how it is! I believe "You only live once" so I went for it, and I'm lovin' it!