2005 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Review: Great Golf TDI

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Review

Great Golf TDI
By Billsbuddie on

2005 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is my 4th VW and all have been diesels. This car now has 15,000 miles and my last tank yielded 46 MPG. It is a manual and I drive it pretty hard, I love the torque. I have had one plastic part which broke, fixed under warranty. There have been no other problems with this car. I am 6'1" and experienced a bit of difficulty with getting in and out of the car, but I am no spring chicken. Once inside it is quite roomy. The back seat is a bit small for full grown adults, however, it is usually just my wife and myself so the back seat is not a problem.

I love the TDI engine, my last one was not a PD and had 10 less HP. This car will respond as well as any I have had. Though it is not a dragster it will still put you back against the seat if I step on it. The best feature is the mileage. It is just getting broken in and I have averaged 43 MPG .

The new Golf will probably solve this problem but the back seat is a bit small. As someone else mentioned it would be nice if the hatch opened with the remote. I really love the hatch, it is very convienient to put things in the back of the car with a minimum of stretching and bending.