2005 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Review: Disappointing Fuel Mileage

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Review

Disappointing Fuel Mileage
By Juliet on

2005 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I'm very happy with the Volkswagen Golf in every respect, except for the fuel mileage and the coating on the middle console is peeling off. I consistently get 38 mpg in town and on the freeway is about the same. I check my mileage religiously at every fill up so I don't know if my fuel is off because CA diesel is supposed to have additives or what. Why is everyone getting better gas mileage than me? I drive 60 mph on the freeways and never accelerate fast. The black coating on the armrests and middle console is peeling off also. I don't know why. Our 2000 Jetta had the same problem. Very wierd. Beside that, very happy. However, #1 reason I purchased was for the mileage and THAT is disappointing :(

The safety features cannot be beat. Very few cars have the electronic stabilization and that is supposed to be a great safety feature along with the side curtain airbags. No car in this class/price range has that as standard.

What's up with the outside coating on the armrests and middle console peeling off? Bogus. We're in a hot climate but I've never seen such a thing. We don't clean our car with anything that would do that - usually just water.