2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Best car for gas mileage
By Colleen Mote on 04/27/06 10:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The VW Golf TDI has plenty of power and acceleration. It gets between 40/48 mpg, it has plenty of room, and is very fun to drive. I have been very pleased with our car and with fuel prices soaring I feel it was a wise investment.

A reliable, high-quality car
By David on 02/23/06 21:18 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is the first Volkswagen I have owned, and I am an very impressed with the overall quality of the car. I spend a lot of time on the freeway each week. The ride is smooth and quiet, and the engine power is more than adequate for passing at normal freeway speeds. Also, I am very impressed with the Monsoon stereo system. The seat and dash materials are all very nice and seem to be of high quality. I have had no problems with this car. As far as the fuel economy goes, I average about 35 mpg all the time, and I don't really try to go slowly or not accelerate too quickly. My previous car was a Ford F-150 that got 15 mpg on a good day, so 35 mpg seems great to me.

Carbon Build Up
By Tom on 01/19/06 22:40 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We are loyal VW owners. We are on our 5th VW, a 2005 Golf TDI. After on 10,000 miles we had carbon build up on the fuel injector which was not covered by the 4 year / 50,000 mile warranty. The repair cost about $1,000. VW blamed the problem on WA & OR not having fuel standards. When asked if the vehicle was garaged in any other state would the warranty cover the repair - VW's answer was "no." VW's quality has gone down in the over the years and unfortunately this will be our last VW since the company will not stand behind their product.

Disappointing Fuel Mileage
By Juliet on 12/24/05 17:49 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I'm very happy with the Volkswagen Golf in every respect, except for the fuel mileage and the coating on the middle console is peeling off. I consistently get 38 mpg in town and on the freeway is about the same. I check my mileage religiously at every fill up so I don't know if my fuel is off because CA diesel is supposed to have additives or what. Why is everyone getting better gas mileage than me? I drive 60 mph on the freeways and never accelerate fast. The black coating on the armrests and middle console is peeling off also. I don't know why. Our 2000 Jetta had the same problem. Very wierd. Beside that, very happy. However, #1 reason I purchased was for the mileage and THAT is disappointing :(

Great Golf TDI
By Billsbuddie on 11/10/05 12:26 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is my 4th VW and all have been diesels. This car now has 15,000 miles and my last tank yielded 46 MPG. It is a manual and I drive it pretty hard, I love the torque. I have had one plastic part which broke, fixed under warranty. There have been no other problems with this car. I am 6'1" and experienced a bit of difficulty with getting in and out of the car, but I am no spring chicken. Once inside it is quite roomy. The back seat is a bit small for full grown adults, however, it is usually just my wife and myself so the back seat is not a problem.

Best Car I have ever owned
By mikjh on 10/09/05 10:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The Golf TDI is the car of my dreams, since I first saw the Rabbit diesel in 1976. It is very comfortable, handles excellently, and gives great fuel economy (48 mpg average). I drive 152 miles a day to work on a variety of roads and it never fails to satisfy. VW quality is evident in every part of the car. I wish I would have purchased one earlier. I have driven this car 22,000 miles in nine months.

Best Fuel Economy
By Keala Gonsalves on 09/18/05 18:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

All in all this has been the best purchase we've ever made. It's only been a couple of weeks & I haven't filled up the tank yet! this is an incredible car, and fun to drive. We would recommend this vehicle to anyone wanting to skip the high price gas lines. If the extra room is what you need, look into the diesel Jetta!

Buying My Second Gold TDI
By jenny on 09/15/05 12:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We've been a one car family for over six years (2003 TDI Golf) and are about to purchase our second car. We're buying another VW TDI Golf. Why? We couldn't find a better, more efficient car period - let alone for the price. It feels like a safe car - not tinny like the Hondas and Toyotas I've driven in the past. His and hers TDI Golfs. Need I say more?

Excllent Buy
By Theodore Baerg on 06/27/05 13:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I purchased the diesel since I do alot of mid distance driving. The performance is fine with amazing low RPM torque. Highway performance is first class and the fuel efficiency is even better than advertised. This was an excellent choice and was well worth the slightly higher sticker price. I saved that in the first few months on fuel.

Golf Forever
By Phil on 06/19/05 09:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Coming from England to US, I have driven many cars. The GOLF TDI is a popular car in a market where a very large percentage are diesel due to the price of gas. The golf is very well built, solid and offers many air bags. The handling and styling of the car is excellent - golf owners appreciate their reliable, frugal workhorse and once bitten rarely stop becoming VW owners. The quality of the build is excellent and as is the Monsoon sound system. My primary reason for buying was to get a safe, well-built, reliable, quality car which offered good gas mileage. I get around 40 mpg which is excellent - my only regret is not looking at a passat TDI - rear legroom space is limited.