2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Disappointing
By Andy on 05/01/07 15:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car expecting good milage, in exchange for weak performance. Instead I got weak performance and 20mpg on the highway. Worst automatic I've yet encountered. Decent little car apart from the powertrain, though. Just keep off the highway and expect SUV-like gas bills.

Wretched little thing
By Andy on 04/09/07 10:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What a disappointment! The engine is pathetic and sad, and gets only half a mile per gallon more than the supercharged 3800 in my 2001 Buick Regal GS when driving the same commute. It's decent for surface streets, especialy if you live in a flat area, but woe betide the poor wretch who tries to accelerate going uphill. And I thought that, in exchange for any hope of good performance, I might at least get decent mileage. Ha! The handling is OK, and the interior space is all right, though the cloth seats seem to be made from the same material as lint brushes, never seen seats pick up so much hair and dust. In short, if you have a short commute in flat land, go ahead. Otherwise, avoid.

A Strange Love Affair
By Ron Campbell on 07/09/05 12:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

While this is perhaps the smallest and least powerful car I have owned since my days as a Triumph driving bachelor in the very early sixties, it is without a doubt the one car I have truly loved. It's stupid to love a car, but there it is. Of course this love does not detract from the love of family or country or home town, but don't anybody ask for my keys. This is MY agile little baby and like Silver and the Lone Ranger nobody drives it but me; my black beauty is a one-rider horse. So this is a fine man/machine love affair, a strange love affair more intense than all the affairs I've had with high-cost high-powered babes...cheap, too, like a good tart.

I love this car!!
By Andrea on 06/16/05 12:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car, it's so fun to drive. It rides smoothly and corners tightly. I am getting great gas mileage with style and comfort. I can't say enough about how much I love my car!

Golf 2004
By le roi on 05/24/05 16:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is one of the most solid autos I've had in a long time. It is much more solid and quiet than my old Honda Civic, although the Honda was a very good car. The VW seems better. I also tried out a Toyota. It was very noisy and tinny sounding inside.