Used 2005 Volkswagen Golf GLS Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Too many problems
By Karen Marie

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought Golf GLS M/T new Jan/2006. Had a great run for the first few years. It handles great, is a lot of fun to drive and looks good. But, once it was out of warranty, the problems started. At about 44,000 miles/7 yrs., the master cylinder (brakes) needed to be replaced, and rotors. Internal engine oil leak - new transmission needed before 50,000 miles. Hood latch broke 2x. Strange front thumping noise that cannot be diagnosed began in 9th year. Around year 6 the armrest latch broke. Around year 8 the glove compartment latch broke. And this is from a single driver - hardly ever passengers, no kids - so these things were hardly ever opened. Loved the car but would not buy again.

Favorite Features

sunroof manual transmission heated seats/mirrors car alarm handled great materials appeared to be high-quality

Suggested Improvements

-better internal materials -fix the hood latch that doesn't hold up -use better quality engine parts or offer a better warranty

Disappointing
By Andy

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car expecting good milage, in exchange for weak performance. Instead I got weak performance and 20mpg on the highway. Worst automatic I've yet encountered. Decent little car apart from the powertrain, though. Just keep off the highway and expect SUV-like gas bills.

Favorite Features

Handling is great, especialy going downhill on twisty roads.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission, better fuel economy. No reason for a 2.0 4 to gobble fuel like a V-8

Wretched little thing
By Andy

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What a disappointment! The engine is pathetic and sad, and gets only half a mile per gallon more than the supercharged 3800 in my 2001 Buick Regal GS when driving the same commute. It's decent for surface streets, especialy if you live in a flat area, but woe betide the poor wretch who tries to accelerate going uphill. And I thought that, in exchange for any hope of good performance, I might at least get decent mileage. Ha! The handling is OK, and the interior space is all right, though the cloth seats seem to be made from the same material as lint brushes, never seen seats pick up so much hair and dust. In short, if you have a short commute in flat land, go ahead. Otherwise, avoid.

Suggested Improvements

The new generation seems to hit most of my problems, adding a decent transmission (worst automatic I've yet driven) and better engine. Styling also left much to be desired, but not much you can do with a hatchback.

A Strange Love Affair
By Ron Campbell

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

While this is perhaps the smallest and least powerful car I have owned since my days as a Triumph driving bachelor in the very early sixties, it is without a doubt the one car I have truly loved. It's stupid to love a car, but there it is. Of course this love does not detract from the love of family or country or home town, but don't anybody ask for my keys. This is MY agile little baby and like Silver and the Lone Ranger nobody drives it but me; my black beauty is a one-rider horse. So this is a fine man/machine love affair, a strange love affair more intense than all the affairs I've had with high-cost high-powered babes...cheap, too, like a good tart.

Favorite Features

The car's agility, cornering, and snappy little gear box.

Suggested Improvements

Improve? Why? If I wanted a faster car I'd have bought one. Bigger? There's plenty to chose from. Better? Can't be done. OK, maybe one little improvement. Can you build it so it never gets dirty?

I love this car!!
By Andrea

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car, it's so fun to drive. It rides smoothly and corners tightly. I am getting great gas mileage with style and comfort. I can't say enough about how much I love my car!