2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Disappointing
By Andy on 05/01/07 15:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car expecting good milage, in exchange for weak performance. Instead I got weak performance and 20mpg on the highway. Worst automatic I've yet encountered. Decent little car apart from the powertrain, though. Just keep off the highway and expect SUV-like gas bills.

Wretched little thing
By Andy on 04/09/07 10:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What a disappointment! The engine is pathetic and sad, and gets only half a mile per gallon more than the supercharged 3800 in my 2001 Buick Regal GS when driving the same commute. It's decent for surface streets, especialy if you live in a flat area, but woe betide the poor wretch who tries to accelerate going uphill. And I thought that, in exchange for any hope of good performance, I might at least get decent mileage. Ha! The handling is OK, and the interior space is all right, though the cloth seats seem to be made from the same material as lint brushes, never seen seats pick up so much hair and dust. In short, if you have a short commute in flat land, go ahead. Otherwise, avoid.

A car to park outside...
By David Burrus on 04/19/06 13:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Golf for over a month now and am impressed. It is a very fun to drive, it handles extremely well, especially on curves. Its interior build quality is impressive. It has excellent paint and exterior finish. The car feels very solid, and tight at all speeds. The manual transmission takes time to get used to. It is very effortless, but very slick. My second choice was a Honda Civic. How did I decide? A naive young boy once asked, "Should I buy a Civic or a Golf?" And the response was simple...buy the Golf if you want to park it outside, buy the Civic if you're going to garage it. This is a unique car.

A lot of Car in a Small Package
By SteveK on 11/06/05 11:58 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought my 2005 Volkswagen Golf GL two weeks ago and so far, so good. It's comfortable, even for a big guy, handles very well, and has tons of great features standard. You do pay a bit more than other hatchbacks on the road, but the quality of this versus the others is worth the extra money. Since I seldom carry even three passengers, the 2-door is fine. The trunk is as roomy as most small sedans. I would have liked the TDI but you can't get them in NY state. Maybe because it's new, but the engine revs higher at speed than most cars, and has curious shift points at times. For what you pay, I would like a little more power, better gas mileage, and a simple trip computer or something to set it apart.

Nifty GTI
By GTI on 10/22/05 12:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I find the GTI to be a thrilling drive and well built. The only thing that I think it lacks is style inside.

Love this car
By golfowner on 09/15/05 01:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 6 months and love it. It rides like a German sedan. The base engine has plenty of power at sea level and pulls smoothly if you learn the power curve. People at higher altitudues that climb hills and need more passing power should opt for the 1.8T engine. I am getting about 330-400 miles per tank. The best I've averaged on a tank is about 27.5 MPG (30 MPG on the highway is possible if you didn't go over 65/70 MPH). Also, the interior is very nice for such an inexpensive car. The A/C is cold/strong. The stereo is better than expected. It fits four. This car isn't for the pocket rocket crowd. It is a better fit for the urban dweller or person who wants an inexpensive car that doesn't feel cheap.

A Strange Love Affair
By Ron Campbell on 07/09/05 12:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

While this is perhaps the smallest and least powerful car I have owned since my days as a Triumph driving bachelor in the very early sixties, it is without a doubt the one car I have truly loved. It's stupid to love a car, but there it is. Of course this love does not detract from the love of family or country or home town, but don't anybody ask for my keys. This is MY agile little baby and like Silver and the Lone Ranger nobody drives it but me; my black beauty is a one-rider horse. So this is a fine man/machine love affair, a strange love affair more intense than all the affairs I've had with high-cost high-powered babes...cheap, too, like a good tart.

I love this car!!
By Andrea on 06/16/05 12:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car, it's so fun to drive. It rides smoothly and corners tightly. I am getting great gas mileage with style and comfort. I can't say enough about how much I love my car!

Golf 2004
By le roi on 05/24/05 16:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is one of the most solid autos I've had in a long time. It is much more solid and quiet than my old Honda Civic, although the Honda was a very good car. The VW seems better. I also tried out a Toyota. It was very noisy and tinny sounding inside.

Good Stuff
By Stefan on 02/28/05 00:53 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Volkswagen Golf GL about two months ago and it has been really great. I picked it up new for just a couple hundred dollars over invoice. It's a blast to drive and it feels good to be spending so little on gas.