2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Love this car!
By lizzieinmd on 12/07/13 08:39 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought my 2005 Golf TDI brand new in February 2005. I love the fuel mileage - average of 46-48 mpg and I don't visit the gas station very often. It is a really fun car to drive with what feels like lots of power due to the torque. It is, however, expensive to maintain and not always easy to find a good local VW mechanic. VW dealer service always seems to be sub par (I have been to 3 different dealers for service). I still would not give up my car because I do love driving it!

Unhappy
By Nick on 05/20/07 20:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Too many trips to the dealership for warranty issues has me wishing I kept my 85 Jetta diesel. The last one was for front suspension noises, dash rattles, and a timing belt job. They have to order bushings for the front and a transmission valve body solenoid for another noise it was making. I made it a mile away from the dealer when the turbo went out. This is my third diesel VW and the best one was the 81 rabbit. In the last 4 months, I've had the golf at the dealer 7 times. The sunroof was 4 trips, the fuel pump was three... it goes on and on. Each time there were other smaller issues. My average fuel mileage is only around 36-38 mpg. My best was 45.6 on a trip.

2005 GLS TDi
By gfen on 03/24/07 11:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

"That's a diesel?" You get that a lot at the gas stations, as well as attendants shutting the pump off on you to helpfully "save" your car. You'd be hard pressed to know it's a diesel, as well. Sure, from the outside its definitely louder at idle (up to about 1600rpm it's got that diesel clatter), and there's no smoke or fumes from the engine, either. On the coldest days, it needed no more than 15 seconds for the glowplugs to do their job, and it'll start right up. The HP is low, but don't let this deter you. You won't notice with the torquey engine and gearing ratios. The Tiptronic feature of the auto 5spd isn't exciting, shift lag is high. On the other hand, it'll let you hold a gear for climbing,etc

VW Service Stinks!
By milehighassassin on 01/10/07 16:35 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have loved this car. I bought it because I drive about 30,000 miles a year. I drive about 65-90 mph on average, depending on traffic. I average about 42 MPG overall. This car has great power, don't let the 100 HP claim get you down. The true power comes from the turbo-charged diesel, putting out something like 174 ft-lbs of torque. The ESP has been great, saving me once. My biggest and MAJOR complaint has been the VW service. They stink. They deny everything they can. My mud flaps are cracking from the snow and ice build up. Diesel prices also are about 50 cents a gallon more than gas, so do the LONG math if you think you are saving money. I save about $1.40 a week, when you figure the difference in fuel.

Been a Year of Highs
By jcross on 10/14/06 15:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

After owning the car just over a year I could never imagine driving anything else. The best milage I've gotten is 53 mpg and the worst is 45 mpg. This is not bad for a car with an EPA rating of 38/42. The car has been great on trips and as a daily driver. I've used the cargo space to help move friends. This has been the most versatile car I've ever owned. The torque lets me cruise for miles and go over passes in top gear, or squirt up to the speed limit around town with ease. I've rarely ever felt that I needed more that what the little diesel offers.

Performance Without the Guilt
By Ray Frush on 07/08/06 20:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

After owning my Golf for three months, all I can say is "wow." The Golf TDI is deceptively powerful for only having 100 bhp. I can climb I-70 mountain passes in 5th gear all the way from Denver to Glenwood Springs without shifting. It is incredibly fun to drive and it handles very well. The GLS model is definitely one to hold out for, heated seats are a must for Diesel engines (that warm up slowly) in cool weather. The ESP Traction Control system is very, very good at keeping the car pointed where you intend. The Monsoon sound system is one of the best balanced sound sytems I've heard in a car.

My TDI Review
By John Russom Sr. on 05/31/06 18:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The Gold GLS TDI is everything I wanted and more. This vehicle's diesel engine is the quietest and smoothest I have ever driven. It has hardly any smoke under normal driving conditions and it is unbelievably responsive. My best mileage on the interstate was 56.8 mpg and least around town is 39 to 41 plus. VW has done nothing but improve their engine design. My daughter and son in law also drive one and they benefit even more than me due to long distance driving that they experience with my "hockey playing" grandson. The ample head and leg room and comfortable ride were important attributes to me as I compared the car with others in same catagory. The fact that the VW diesel had been around for many years influenced my decision tremendously!

Best car for gas mileage
By Colleen Mote on 04/27/06 10:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The VW Golf TDI has plenty of power and acceleration. It gets between 40/48 mpg, it has plenty of room, and is very fun to drive. I have been very pleased with our car and with fuel prices soaring I feel it was a wise investment.

A reliable, high-quality car
By David on 02/23/06 21:18 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is the first Volkswagen I have owned, and I am an very impressed with the overall quality of the car. I spend a lot of time on the freeway each week. The ride is smooth and quiet, and the engine power is more than adequate for passing at normal freeway speeds. Also, I am very impressed with the Monsoon stereo system. The seat and dash materials are all very nice and seem to be of high quality. I have had no problems with this car. As far as the fuel economy goes, I average about 35 mpg all the time, and I don't really try to go slowly or not accelerate too quickly. My previous car was a Ford F-150 that got 15 mpg on a good day, so 35 mpg seems great to me.

Disappointing Fuel Mileage
By Juliet on 12/24/05 17:49 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I'm very happy with the Volkswagen Golf in every respect, except for the fuel mileage and the coating on the middle console is peeling off. I consistently get 38 mpg in town and on the freeway is about the same. I check my mileage religiously at every fill up so I don't know if my fuel is off because CA diesel is supposed to have additives or what. Why is everyone getting better gas mileage than me? I drive 60 mph on the freeways and never accelerate fast. The black coating on the armrests and middle console is peeling off also. I don't know why. Our 2000 Jetta had the same problem. Very wierd. Beside that, very happy. However, #1 reason I purchased was for the mileage and THAT is disappointing :(