Used 2005 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Love this car!
By lizzieinmd

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought my 2005 Golf TDI brand new in February 2005. I love the fuel mileage - average of 46-48 mpg and I don't visit the gas station very often. It is a really fun car to drive with what feels like lots of power due to the torque. It is, however, expensive to maintain and not always easy to find a good local VW mechanic. VW dealer service always seems to be sub par (I have been to 3 different dealers for service). I still would not give up my car because I do love driving it!

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, fit and finish of interior, car feels very solid, quality of materials used (original battery and brakes on my car at 106,000 miles and nearly 9 years - AND it just passed state inspection on 12/6/13). Handles extremely well with quick response, very smooth ride and fairly quiet. LOTS of fun to drive and holds the road extremely well. I feel safe in this car because of it's solid feel and the air bags everywhere.

Suggested Improvements

VW could do a better job at standing behind the quality of their vehicles. I've had to replace the hood latch twice in 8 years - and I've heard others having to replace theirs. The last time the dealer actually broke the latch in November 2013. I contacted VW about this obviously defective part and they refused to acknowledge or do anything about it. Also, the cost of repairs on this vehicle are outrageous and it seems every time I go to the VW dealer they have to keep my car for at least a few days and then charge me at least thousands of dollars (I'm not kidding!) to get it back. They once returned it to me with a damaged hood after it was there for 9 days. Dealer service needs to improve!

Unhappy
By Nick

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Too many trips to the dealership for warranty issues has me wishing I kept my 85 Jetta diesel. The last one was for front suspension noises, dash rattles, and a timing belt job. They have to order bushings for the front and a transmission valve body solenoid for another noise it was making. I made it a mile away from the dealer when the turbo went out. This is my third diesel VW and the best one was the 81 rabbit. In the last 4 months, I've had the golf at the dealer 7 times. The sunroof was 4 trips, the fuel pump was three... it goes on and on. Each time there were other smaller issues. My average fuel mileage is only around 36-38 mpg. My best was 45.6 on a trip.

Favorite Features

The sound system is great as are the heated seats. The car handles rather well and is pretty comfortable. Thank goodness for a 50,000 mile warranty, I'm making good use of it.

2005 GLS TDi
By gfen

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

"That's a diesel?" You get that a lot at the gas stations, as well as attendants shutting the pump off on you to helpfully "save" your car. You'd be hard pressed to know it's a diesel, as well. Sure, from the outside its definitely louder at idle (up to about 1600rpm it's got that diesel clatter), and there's no smoke or fumes from the engine, either. On the coldest days, it needed no more than 15 seconds for the glowplugs to do their job, and it'll start right up. The HP is low, but don't let this deter you. You won't notice with the torquey engine and gearing ratios. The Tiptronic feature of the auto 5spd isn't exciting, shift lag is high. On the other hand, it'll let you hold a gear for climbing,etc

Favorite Features

It's torquey and fun to drive, without the attendent problems of finding yourself moving at the speed of sound while enjoying your engine's oomph. The ergonomics are top notch, the interior feels like it was made for you, and the driving dynamics of VWs are unparalelled in their price ranges.

Suggested Improvements

If only we could have European diesel engines with higher HP/torque numbers. 180ftlb of torque can only do so much making up for 100hp. The very specific guidelines for oil in the PD engines is a detriment. The car needs a supplemental heater (corrected in the mk5 cars).

VW Service Stinks!
By milehighassassin

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have loved this car. I bought it because I drive about 30,000 miles a year. I drive about 65-90 mph on average, depending on traffic. I average about 42 MPG overall. This car has great power, don't let the 100 HP claim get you down. The true power comes from the turbo-charged diesel, putting out something like 174 ft-lbs of torque. The ESP has been great, saving me once. My biggest and MAJOR complaint has been the VW service. They stink. They deny everything they can. My mud flaps are cracking from the snow and ice build up. Diesel prices also are about 50 cents a gallon more than gas, so do the LONG math if you think you are saving money. I save about $1.40 a week, when you figure the difference in fuel.

Favorite Features

The good fuel economy, torquey motor, and nice interior when compared to other cars in it's class. The ESP/ASR rule. It has good brakes. I love the 10,000 mile oil changes (per VW).

Suggested Improvements

VW service stinks. Is there anything they don't deny fixing under warranty? The turbo went out but was covered, everything else seems to have a lame excuse. This is the last VW I will own, because of the service (3 prior).

Been a Year of Highs
By jcross

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

After owning the car just over a year I could never imagine driving anything else. The best milage I've gotten is 53 mpg and the worst is 45 mpg. This is not bad for a car with an EPA rating of 38/42. The car has been great on trips and as a daily driver. I've used the cargo space to help move friends. This has been the most versatile car I've ever owned. The torque lets me cruise for miles and go over passes in top gear, or squirt up to the speed limit around town with ease. I've rarely ever felt that I needed more that what the little diesel offers.

Favorite Features

The great gas mileage, hatchback, comfort, and just the over all looks of the car.

Suggested Improvements

I don't have much if anything to suggest, although that may change when VW brings their new diesels to the states for 2008.