2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
My Volkswagen Golf...here is a little...
By notorious on 05/07/09 23:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

...story. I have owned my car for the last four years. My car has been incredible on diesel mileage. I get in the city anywhere from 500 to 550 miles in the city and 550 to 625 miles on a tank. Within the first 3 years of my car, my transmission went! Could not believe it! The dealership had me pay approx $1200 to replace it. I was not happy about it at all. The dealership agreed to refund me half the amount I paid and asked I follow up the rest with Volkswagen International - No outcome from that. In the 4the year, seals and headlight bulbs replaced under warranty. Spill guard is not good for dark clothed interior. Don't replace air filter with after market unit! Dangerous!

Good for the long haul.
By scvcampdavis on 12/26/07 09:34 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I drive about 115 miles round trip to work. All I have ever done is change the oil (about every 12-15k miles), replace a couple head lights, and change the tires. My car has yet to need brakes or any major repair. The perfect stylish, fun to drive, daily commuter!

Carbon Build Up
By Tom on 01/19/06 22:40 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We are loyal VW owners. We are on our 5th VW, a 2005 Golf TDI. After on 10,000 miles we had carbon build up on the fuel injector which was not covered by the 4 year / 50,000 mile warranty. The repair cost about $1,000. VW blamed the problem on WA & OR not having fuel standards. When asked if the vehicle was garaged in any other state would the warranty cover the repair - VW's answer was "no." VW's quality has gone down in the over the years and unfortunately this will be our last VW since the company will not stand behind their product.

Best Car I have ever owned
By mikjh on 10/09/05 10:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The Golf TDI is the car of my dreams, since I first saw the Rabbit diesel in 1976. It is very comfortable, handles excellently, and gives great fuel economy (48 mpg average). I drive 152 miles a day to work on a variety of roads and it never fails to satisfy. VW quality is evident in every part of the car. I wish I would have purchased one earlier. I have driven this car 22,000 miles in nine months.

Buying My Second Gold TDI
By jenny on 09/15/05 12:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We've been a one car family for over six years (2003 TDI Golf) and are about to purchase our second car. We're buying another VW TDI Golf. Why? We couldn't find a better, more efficient car period - let alone for the price. It feels like a safe car - not tinny like the Hondas and Toyotas I've driven in the past. His and hers TDI Golfs. Need I say more?