Used 2005 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

My Volkswagen Golf...here is a little...
By notorious

2005 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

...story. I have owned my car for the last four years. My car has been incredible on diesel mileage. I get in the city anywhere from 500 to 550 miles in the city and 550 to 625 miles on a tank. Within the first 3 years of my car, my transmission went! Could not believe it! The dealership had me pay approx $1200 to replace it. I was not happy about it at all. The dealership agreed to refund me half the amount I paid and asked I follow up the rest with Volkswagen International - No outcome from that. In the 4the year, seals and headlight bulbs replaced under warranty. Spill guard is not good for dark clothed interior. Don't replace air filter with after market unit! Dangerous!

Favorite Features

The car is zippy! Mine comes with 145hp and 250lbs of torque. Speeds off like an Angel on a mission! Excellent passing. Beautiful, quality interior, great trunk space, Tape deck with trunk cd changer capability. I have a GL version, brand is wonderful. ESC, and seats are comfortable!

Suggested Improvements

Heater is horrid! Need to up the redline to 7000 rpm. Better suspensions to minimize body roll. Keep the tape deck. include CD player, traction control, ESC, and cruise control standard. Make under body coating (noise reduction) standard. Increase horsepower and torque.

Good for the long haul.
By scvcampdavis

2005 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I drive about 115 miles round trip to work. All I have ever done is change the oil (about every 12-15k miles), replace a couple head lights, and change the tires. My car has yet to need brakes or any major repair. The perfect stylish, fun to drive, daily commuter!

Favorite Features

45-50mpg! Standard kickin' sound system!

Suggested Improvements

standard roof rack

Carbon Build Up
By Tom

2005 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We are loyal VW owners. We are on our 5th VW, a 2005 Golf TDI. After on 10,000 miles we had carbon build up on the fuel injector which was not covered by the 4 year / 50,000 mile warranty. The repair cost about $1,000. VW blamed the problem on WA & OR not having fuel standards. When asked if the vehicle was garaged in any other state would the warranty cover the repair - VW's answer was "no." VW's quality has gone down in the over the years and unfortunately this will be our last VW since the company will not stand behind their product.

Favorite Features

The best feature of this vehicle is its 47 MPG fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Tell your customers they have to put in a fuel injection cleaner regularly to reduce carbon build up.

Best Car I have ever owned
By mikjh

2005 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The Golf TDI is the car of my dreams, since I first saw the Rabbit diesel in 1976. It is very comfortable, handles excellently, and gives great fuel economy (48 mpg average). I drive 152 miles a day to work on a variety of roads and it never fails to satisfy. VW quality is evident in every part of the car. I wish I would have purchased one earlier. I have driven this car 22,000 miles in nine months.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy is number one. There is plenty of power for driving in town or passing on the highway. It has never run out steam for me.

Suggested Improvements

I would have liked better quality materials on the seats; perhaps I should have purchased leather.

Buying My Second Gold TDI
By jenny

2005 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We've been a one car family for over six years (2003 TDI Golf) and are about to purchase our second car. We're buying another VW TDI Golf. Why? We couldn't find a better, more efficient car period - let alone for the price. It feels like a safe car - not tinny like the Hondas and Toyotas I've driven in the past. His and hers TDI Golfs. Need I say more?

Favorite Features

Hearing "Excuse me, mam! You're putting diesel fuel in your car" from concerned strangers at the filling station.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are really poorly placed and not all the controls (like A/C) are visible in the dark.