2005 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Love this car!
By lizzieinmd on 12/07/13 08:39 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought my 2005 Golf TDI brand new in February 2005. I love the fuel mileage - average of 46-48 mpg and I don't visit the gas station very often. It is a really fun car to drive with what feels like lots of power due to the torque. It is, however, expensive to maintain and not always easy to find a good local VW mechanic. VW dealer service always seems to be sub par (I have been to 3 different dealers for service). I still would not give up my car because I do love driving it!

Great engine/Gearbox shonkybuild quality
By De Spear on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The engine is great and mates wonderfully to the DSG The car has plenty of torque and is responsive I am very disappointed with the quality of the materials used Car dealer service is very expensive. http://ontargetreviews.blogspot.com/2010/09/2005-vw-golf-tdi-20-comfortline.html

My Volkswagen Golf...here is a little...
By notorious on 05/07/09 23:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

...story. I have owned my car for the last four years. My car has been incredible on diesel mileage. I get in the city anywhere from 500 to 550 miles in the city and 550 to 625 miles on a tank. Within the first 3 years of my car, my transmission went! Could not believe it! The dealership had me pay approx $1200 to replace it. I was not happy about it at all. The dealership agreed to refund me half the amount I paid and asked I follow up the rest with Volkswagen International - No outcome from that. In the 4the year, seals and headlight bulbs replaced under warranty. Spill guard is not good for dark clothed interior. Don't replace air filter with after market unit! Dangerous!

Good for the long haul.
By scvcampdavis on 12/26/07 09:34 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I drive about 115 miles round trip to work. All I have ever done is change the oil (about every 12-15k miles), replace a couple head lights, and change the tires. My car has yet to need brakes or any major repair. The perfect stylish, fun to drive, daily commuter!

Unhappy
By Nick on 05/20/07 20:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Too many trips to the dealership for warranty issues has me wishing I kept my 85 Jetta diesel. The last one was for front suspension noises, dash rattles, and a timing belt job. They have to order bushings for the front and a transmission valve body solenoid for another noise it was making. I made it a mile away from the dealer when the turbo went out. This is my third diesel VW and the best one was the 81 rabbit. In the last 4 months, I've had the golf at the dealer 7 times. The sunroof was 4 trips, the fuel pump was three... it goes on and on. Each time there were other smaller issues. My average fuel mileage is only around 36-38 mpg. My best was 45.6 on a trip.

Disappointing
By Andy on 05/01/07 15:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car expecting good milage, in exchange for weak performance. Instead I got weak performance and 20mpg on the highway. Worst automatic I've yet encountered. Decent little car apart from the powertrain, though. Just keep off the highway and expect SUV-like gas bills.

Wretched little thing
By Andy on 04/09/07 10:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What a disappointment! The engine is pathetic and sad, and gets only half a mile per gallon more than the supercharged 3800 in my 2001 Buick Regal GS when driving the same commute. It's decent for surface streets, especialy if you live in a flat area, but woe betide the poor wretch who tries to accelerate going uphill. And I thought that, in exchange for any hope of good performance, I might at least get decent mileage. Ha! The handling is OK, and the interior space is all right, though the cloth seats seem to be made from the same material as lint brushes, never seen seats pick up so much hair and dust. In short, if you have a short commute in flat land, go ahead. Otherwise, avoid.

2005 GLS TDi
By gfen on 03/24/07 11:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

"That's a diesel?" You get that a lot at the gas stations, as well as attendants shutting the pump off on you to helpfully "save" your car. You'd be hard pressed to know it's a diesel, as well. Sure, from the outside its definitely louder at idle (up to about 1600rpm it's got that diesel clatter), and there's no smoke or fumes from the engine, either. On the coldest days, it needed no more than 15 seconds for the glowplugs to do their job, and it'll start right up. The HP is low, but don't let this deter you. You won't notice with the torquey engine and gearing ratios. The Tiptronic feature of the auto 5spd isn't exciting, shift lag is high. On the other hand, it'll let you hold a gear for climbing,etc

VW Service Stinks!
By milehighassassin on 01/10/07 16:35 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have loved this car. I bought it because I drive about 30,000 miles a year. I drive about 65-90 mph on average, depending on traffic. I average about 42 MPG overall. This car has great power, don't let the 100 HP claim get you down. The true power comes from the turbo-charged diesel, putting out something like 174 ft-lbs of torque. The ESP has been great, saving me once. My biggest and MAJOR complaint has been the VW service. They stink. They deny everything they can. My mud flaps are cracking from the snow and ice build up. Diesel prices also are about 50 cents a gallon more than gas, so do the LONG math if you think you are saving money. I save about $1.40 a week, when you figure the difference in fuel.

Been a Year of Highs
By jcross on 10/14/06 15:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

After owning the car just over a year I could never imagine driving anything else. The best milage I've gotten is 53 mpg and the worst is 45 mpg. This is not bad for a car with an EPA rating of 38/42. The car has been great on trips and as a daily driver. I've used the cargo space to help move friends. This has been the most versatile car I've ever owned. The torque lets me cruise for miles and go over passes in top gear, or squirt up to the speed limit around town with ease. I've rarely ever felt that I needed more that what the little diesel offers.