2004 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Review: Surprisingly Sporty, Economica

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Review

Surprisingly Sporty, Economical & Fun
By jddaigle on

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I got this Golf to replace a 2001 Jetta with the 1.8 liter turbo engine. I wanted to reduce my fuel usage & try using biodiesel fuel. I loved the Jetta and love the Golf. The design of the interior is near-perfect, with everything where it should be. The performance of the high-torque diesel engine is excellent--I can easily keep up with (or pass) traffic and merge & pass on the highway without downshifting. The seats are very comfortable and supportive and even in base trim offer many ways to adjust your driving position. Handling is tight but not quite sports car tight (I may upgrade my suspension in the future). Road noise is very well controlled.

1. The TDI engine; 2. Huge list of standard features (front, side, and curtain airbags, A/C, cruise, power windows & locks for example); 3. Fantastic interior design; 4. Hatchback versatility; 5. Full-sized spare tire; 6. Compact dimensions and confident handling.

I would like to see the rigid rear shelf replaced by a retractable cargo cover as seen in the Jetta wagon. The rigid shelf can be removed, but then you have to find a place for it. It would also be nice if VW offered its TDI cars with options like the sports suspension as in Europe.