Great 1st car for my daughter
By lfbmdpc on
2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)
Bought 04 Golf 4Dr GL w/AT @ $14,232 + tax/tags after $2K dealer rebate making this an extraordinary buy given safety features (head/side/door & curtain airbags). Car is fun to drive, fast (but not too fast for a 16yo driver), well equipped and appointed even in the base model. Negatives = history of poor reliability (altho' improving as of 2003 per consumer reports ratings), dash switchwork seems a bit flimsy. However car comes with 4y/50K bumper-to-bumper warranty and "free" roadside service. I've owned audi's, BMW's, porsche's & MB's and this cars germanic roots shine thru even when compared to it's more expensive brethren. I bought this for my daughter, but I drive it every chance I can.
Favorite Features
Six airbags, "Ka-thunk" when doors close, driver seat position, best manual height control on any seat in any car I've ever owned, blue dashboard backlighting, understated & tasteful interior styling, as my daughter says "bangin' stereo", full spare, handling characteristics, "fun" factor, fuel econ
Suggested Improvements
Hopefully reliability will continue to improve. 2.0L 4 cyl. engine is a tad thirsty for fuel, especially with AT. As noted, some switchwork (e.g.- mirror controls , airbag markers) seems flimsy & cheap.