2004 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Golf Grrl
By g4oxygen on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Golf, and while it's not as flashy as some other compacts, its practical, peppy and super fun to drive. It really defines me.

Can't go wrong with a TDI golf
By Ears on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought a golf TDI and it has been the best car I have ever owned. The car gets around 50 miles per gallon running on diesel fuel which in some cases is considerable cheaper than gasoline. The car's interior is beutifully designed and very used friendly. The stock sound system is incredible. The only downfall is the performance. The car stock doesn't have all the much power, but for a diesel it does out-do many of its competitors in the performance category. But hey if u want speed go buy a corvette, if you want reliable efficiency buy a golf TDI, you won't regret it.

Surprisingly Sporty, Economical & Fun
By jddaigle on 09/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I got this Golf to replace a 2001 Jetta with the 1.8 liter turbo engine. I wanted to reduce my fuel usage & try using biodiesel fuel. I loved the Jetta and love the Golf. The design of the interior is near-perfect, with everything where it should be. The performance of the high-torque diesel engine is excellent--I can easily keep up with (or pass) traffic and merge & pass on the highway without downshifting. The seats are very comfortable and supportive and even in base trim offer many ways to adjust your driving position. Handling is tight but not quite sports car tight (I may upgrade my suspension in the future). Road noise is very well controlled.

excellent car
By Ronny VT on 09/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Actually, we bought the car in 2000... we live in Europe, and diesel is the most common fuel here... It must be said that Volkswagen was a pioneer in the direct injected diesel engine... and you feel this when you drive a VW diesel... They perform like a petrol engine, are quiet, but they have a better fuel economy... It's a great car to drive... If you are looking for a nice reliable car, for a fair price... this Golf is your best buy

Lemon
By t shirt man on 08/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

New car had to be jump started in showroom I should have known not to take it. They told me it was from the doors being left open. I've had the car three weeks,I got to drive it for 8 days. They say it's a short in the clock but the part has to be made in Germany. I guess I should have bought the magic beans that Jack bought because I would have believed that sooner. No Help from VW Hotline also. I asked for my money back or a new car, they said you bought the beans now you are stuck with them. As of my car they still do not know when it will be repaired. PLEASE DO NOT BUY VW.

Love the Golf
By GolfChicK101 on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Very economic on gas, runs smoothe. Very comfortable, and very cute for any college kid.

Love our TDI Golf
By xxdoty on 07/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We researched vehicles for 7 months before deciding on the Golf! Hardly any car met our critera: good fuel economy, reliable, in the low $20's, side curtain airbags (this was a biggie which most cars don't offer) and fun to drive. The Golf met all these plus we got heated seats and a sunroof thrown in! We're VERY happy with our purchase and also received a $1000 customer loyalty rebate from VW because we currently own a 2000 Jetta which we love. The VW rear hatch bike rack is great(rather than a roof mounted rack) since we do tons of mountain biking. Oh by the way, we're planning on buying the materials to make our own biodiesel fuel soon :)

GL review
By lalala on 07/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

boring car. i use it around town, not remarkable

Great Car
By Chris Hendrickson on 07/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My golf is the perfect car for a single guy. It is a great car to drive and have fun driving, the 5 speed manual shifts so smooth and is great on gas mileage. With gas prices how they are, this is perfect for someone short on cash. Its small but its character thats counts and this car has a ton of character. Definately a good reliable car.

A nice change from a truck.
By pinkpilot on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've only had this car for a few weeks, but I love the mpg I get out of it. I have the 2.0L gas and its not the most powerful, but it gets me all around town and has good acceleration getting on the highway. Perfect for me. I looked at other cars (Toyota Matrix et al) and this Golf had all the saftey features I wanted (airbags and abs 4 wheel) for a really good price.