2004 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews 3

2004 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Solid Buy
By BlueVW on 12/26/04 13:59 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I've had my VW Golf TDI (AT) for over 6 months. It's been everything I hoped for - reliable, fuel efficient, and really fun to drive. I live in Annapols, MD. This car is perfect for city living and highway driving. Small enough to scoot around small historic city streets (nimble handling). Plenty of power (great torque) for highway driving. The hatchback provides nice utility. This Golf is by far the best car I've ever owned (I've had a Toyota Celica, Honda Civic, Pontiac Sunbird, Mazda B2000, VW Passat 1.8T, Dodge Durango, and a Jeep Wrangler). I'm going to drive this car for many many years.

DO NOT BUY, VW - very streeful
By VwSucks on 11/12/04 19:37 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I purchased BRAND NEW 04 VW golf and within 10 miles I drove from the dealer ship , i started getting ENGINE PROBLEMS. OUT OF the last 18 DAYS since i bought the car, 15 DAYS car was in SHED. Never expected that buying a brand new car with VW is this STRESSFUL.i filed an official complaint with VW-America, they are dead slow in responding. their Customer service is comparable to the car's engine problems. New car should be problem-free atleast for the first 10 miles. VW buyers, READ as many reviews as possible before you decide on buying this crap.

Great Car
By Gliderpilot on 10/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Ordered it from the dealer in OKC. Took 4 months to arrive. I like everything but the lack of armrests in the front seats. Anything with bucket seats should have an armrest (My wife's X-Type Jag does so why not the VW?). The oil change is no sweat, just make sure you have a Torz T-25 screwdriver. The filter is accessed from the top of the engine after you move the plastic cover over the intake manifold. Everyone should drive a diesel, I'm getting about 43 mpg combined Hwy/City. Love it

Surpasses all competition
By Citricacidcycle on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Fun to drive, precise and accurate steering, sound and safe design (4 disc ABS brakes, stability program, airbags as fas as the eye can see) Flexible, you can haul around a ton of stuff, great mileage, more features standard than on any other vehicle (8 speaker sound system w/ radio AND cassette, cruise control, height adjustable seats, 3 full seatbelts and headrest in the back. Though only equipped with 90hp, the car is far from being a lame duck, you get away from a stoplight much easier than say a Chevy Malibu. The stiff suspension keeps it comfortable on long trips and prevents you from getting seasick over potholes.

Get Up and Gone
By ihctrux on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought the 3 door hatchback Golf TDI and have been getting over 51 mpg average in highway driving. That's with the air conditionner running and at speeds of about 72 mph average. This car develops top torque at 1900 rpm and so is fast off the line and extremely economical to drive. It meets my standards for economical yet competent top end driving as it gets more than one-half its horsepower rating (93) in miles per gallon and will quite easily go faster than 1x that same horsepower rating. Most cars can't come close to meeting this horsepower-based driving standard and with most drivers driven by high horsepower ratings alone, they likely never will! Bravissimo for the Golf TDI!

Fun, dependable car
By Seamaster on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I am retired and enjoy taking road trips on back roads. The car handles very well and helps make my trips fun. This is the 6th TDI that I have had and I have had no problems with any of them. I do not even look at other models when I go to buy a new car!

Buy It
By Maxwell the dog. on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have 83000 miles on my TDI Golf - I am original owner and put all mileage on it myself. I average 46 miles per gallon - 52 if cruise is set on 72 for 3 hour+ drives! Extremely comfortable, fun to drive, reliable, - still in love with the car after 80K miles - thats a feat for me! Love the car - what else can I say.

A car that feels great to own and drive
By SoyDiesel on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The Golf TDI's high-tech, extremely fuel-efficient engine (with plenty of torque), a great array of standard trim and safety features, and the overall quality of design and build all combine to make this an excellent choice for anyone looking for a compact car that's both fun and economical to drive. With the rear seats down, there's impressive cargo space for a compact car, and even with them up it's a comfortable sedan for 4 adults. Plus, you can get all of this AND do the environment a favor by running on biodiesel fuel - either at 100% or blending with petroleum-based diesel in any ratio you choose. I wanted a 4DR hatchback with >40MPG for <$20K, and this car was the best choice!

Great 1st car for my daughter
By lfbmdpc on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought 04 Golf 4Dr GL w/AT @ $14,232 + tax/tags after $2K dealer rebate making this an extraordinary buy given safety features (head/side/door & curtain airbags). Car is fun to drive, fast (but not too fast for a 16yo driver), well equipped and appointed even in the base model. Negatives = history of poor reliability (altho' improving as of 2003 per consumer reports ratings), dash switchwork seems a bit flimsy. However car comes with 4y/50K bumper-to-bumper warranty and "free" roadside service. I've owned audi's, BMW's, porsche's & MB's and this cars germanic roots shine thru even when compared to it's more expensive brethren. I bought this for my daughter, but I drive it every chance I can.

Great Car
By olliemae on 09/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car. Handles great but rides a little hard but that adds to the fun. Even with 2.0L good power for everyday driving. Moonsoon Sound system is above average but not great especally for a 200 watts system. A little small compared to many others similar models. But overall you will know why this is the top seller in Europe.