Used 2004 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Close but No Cigar
By Finch

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The Gold GL TDI is fun to drive, gets great fuel mileage, and has a reasonable price. I want to keep this car forever, but the electrical system is lacks reliability. I've had two airbag sensors needed replaced, one air bag, O2 sensor, thermostat, and a fuel pump. All of which were covered under warranty, but this leaves the question of keeping the car after the warranty has expired. If I had to pay for these things it would be the worst experience I've ever had with a car used or new. I'm at 49,000 miles now and cannot decide if I should keep the car or not.

The gas mileage rocks. It is super quick for a vehicle that gets 41 mpg. It is very agile and handles corners well.

Give it a better electrical system and better warranty.

GOLF - Gorgeous-Outstanding-Lovable-Fun
By viyes

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2004.5 Golf, white-4D, 2L 17"- 235R45 Pirelli-ZR, gets 28 mpg! It is GORGEOUS! It has a class looking exterior and interior finish. It is OUTSTANDING! It has great performance rain on shine and great road handling. It is LOVABLE. It has stereo precision, adjustable front seats, and freezing A/C. It is FUN. It's a great workhorse. It is my performance commuter car!

The great air conditioning, black interior. and great handling. I love the sound of the engine with the windows down! I am still lovin' my Golf after 2 years!

For the price -NONE at all!

Everything I Hoped It Would Be
By VWinMD

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had this car for just over a year. It's been a great ride. Frankly, it's been perfect. The size is perfect for city driving. The power and ride are excellent on the highway. The build quality rivals the fit and finish of much more expensive cars. The seats are very comfortable. The sound system is excellent. The rear seats and hatchback make this car very practical. As for fuel mileage, I'm happy. Having an AT diminishes the mpg (I'm getting as low as 33 and as much as 38), but it's still better than most. The turbo deisel runs smooth, quiet, and has lots of torque. If your looking at buying a small car, you can't go wrong with this one.

It's all good... comfortable, fun to drive, tight build, nice sound system, good mileage.

If I have to say something... folding down the rear seats can be a bit of a hassle, but I've only done that once since I've had it.

16 months with my tdi golf
By bill's golf

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We have driven our Golf 21000 miles. We bought it in March of 2004. Our average mileage is 37 to 38 miles a gallon. On the highway we get in the low forties. The car is fun to drive. It handles beautifully on the interstate or on back roads. The engine has plenty of power. When we want at pass, we pass. We liked the seats.They have good back support. We bought the Golf because it was a diesel and because it has a hatchback. Our sixty pound dog rides there when we travel. We think we bought the right car for our purposes.

The car is fun to drive. It is responsive and it holds the road.

The odometer is difficult to read in daylight. I suggest a better location with larger numbers. The clock is easy to read. The heater and airconditioner controls are difficult to use. They should be relocated.

Very happy
By Caleb

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This has been the best car i have owned. all the performance i need and the comfort. fuel mileage has been unbeleivable. i drove from vancouver bc to calgary alberta on one tank of fuel.

the volkswagen look and practicality

blind spots. back window noise when down.

• SUV