2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Great for 30,000 miles, then problems
By Andy on 08/26/07 09:06 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had always wanted a VW Golf and after driving several comparable models, researching (not good enough, apparently) I decided on a 2004 VW Golf GLS. 5 speed tranny, everything else needed was standard - big selling point. The first 30,000 miles clicked by without fail or problems. But along the 32,000 mile mark, my ECT light came on, and after a few trips to a dealer, the problem persisted. The result of the light coming on was that the car operated at around 60% of its power, with cruise not working and as you ascend any hill, you can't even grab a gear to accelerate. Finally sold the car (took a big hit) and bought a Toyota - what I should have done in the first place. No more VWs.

Love the Handling, hate the problems.
By J.Gree on 07/01/05 13:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2004 Golf GLS, automatic. Since the date of delivery, I have had nothing but problems with the car. It is back at the dealership constantly, and on several occasions, has been back more than one time for the same problem. The car is very comfortable, safe, and I love how it handles, however, it is not reliable, and has a lot of electrical problems. Needed a new driver's side seat bracket, coil in driver's seat had to be repaired, faulty cooling sensor, problem with the alarm sounding after closing the trunk and opening the driver's door, I am on my second cd player, and it is not working properly (got it installed yesterday), problems getting the car out of park, etc.

Great Car
By olliemae on 09/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car. Handles great but rides a little hard but that adds to the fun. Even with 2.0L good power for everyday driving. Moonsoon Sound system is above average but not great especally for a 200 watts system. A little small compared to many others similar models. But overall you will know why this is the top seller in Europe.

Golf Grrl
By g4oxygen on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Golf, and while it's not as flashy as some other compacts, its practical, peppy and super fun to drive. It really defines me.

Great Car
By Chris Hendrickson on 07/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My golf is the perfect car for a single guy. It is a great car to drive and have fun driving, the 5 speed manual shifts so smooth and is great on gas mileage. With gas prices how they are, this is perfect for someone short on cash. Its small but its character thats counts and this car has a ton of character. Definately a good reliable car.

LOVE MY GOLF
By Traintraxboy on 03/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I lOvE mY GoLf. it is fun to drive and if u really want power get the 2004 Jetta VR6 or the GTI (I prefer the Jetta) I have a golf and a jetta and i love both of my cars!