2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Interior falls apart in 2 years
By Krista on 10/19/08 08:03 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First, the car drives great and has good gas mileage. I purchased a VW based on its reputation for quality. After owning the car for almost 4 years, I am not sure how VW got this reputation. The interior begins to fall apart after 2 years. I live in Florida so the heat could be part of the problem, but many other manufacturers have managed to make a car that withstands the heat. The interior fabric on the door is coming off. The plastic melts and scratches. I am extremely disappointed and will never purchase a VW again. My friend has a VW Bug and she has the same issues (and more).

Lemon
By t shirt man on 08/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

New car had to be jump started in showroom I should have known not to take it. They told me it was from the doors being left open. I've had the car three weeks,I got to drive it for 8 days. They say it's a short in the clock but the part has to be made in Germany. I guess I should have bought the magic beans that Jack bought because I would have believed that sooner. No Help from VW Hotline also. I asked for my money back or a new car, they said you bought the beans now you are stuck with them. As of my car they still do not know when it will be repaired. PLEASE DO NOT BUY VW.

Volkswagen Golf GL
By Chris Flores on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car. Well thought out design, and ergonomics. Very good balance with engine size and size of the car. Excellent accelerating power. Compared to a Honda Civic, it handles much better on the road.

Fun and efficient
By Viking Golfer on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I needed a second car, I tried a number of used cars, but I fell in love with the Golf. When I returned it back to the dealership, I had a huge grin on my face. :) I love how they at Volkswagen let me test drive it alone. It had all the features I wanted, at an affordable price, and it is fun to drive. The choice was simple. $13K, brand new.

Good German Car
By IloveCarz1081 on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was undecided about what kind of car I wanted I looked at everything from honda to hyundai. At the end of the day I just wanted something like a mercedes or bmw, but i didnt want to spend that much although I could afford it, therefor I am using VW, cheaper payment plus same fun

The Red One
By the red on 01/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This Golf is solid-fun to drive, and easy to handle. There are areas in which there could be improvement. The first is oil consumpttion. Even though the consumption has now settled at 2300 miles per quart at the odometer reading of 29000 miles it was 500 hundred miles per quart of oil when the car was new. Maybe it is broken in now! The engine revs up higher at highway speed than I like. At sixty MPH the engine is at 3000 RPM. My auto could use a sixth gear or a different ratio in the top gear. City and highway mileage is 27 MPG. Overall, I love this car. Red

Good Car
By dP3 on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Golf is fun to drive, it has however some reliability flaws, according to many people, I have not experienced any, yet (knock on wood.) The pricier models have nice amenities, the stereo sounds good (serious audio buffs might want to change a thing or two.) and the engine responds nicely. The front part of the interior has space, and there's enough space for people in the back. However, if you're looking for a more trunk space, you might want to consider a Jetta (same chassis and everything, but added space.)