Used 2004 Volkswagen Golf GL Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Interior falls apart in 2 years
By Krista

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First, the car drives great and has good gas mileage. I purchased a VW based on its reputation for quality. After owning the car for almost 4 years, I am not sure how VW got this reputation. The interior begins to fall apart after 2 years. I live in Florida so the heat could be part of the problem, but many other manufacturers have managed to make a car that withstands the heat. The interior fabric on the door is coming off. The plastic melts and scratches. I am extremely disappointed and will never purchase a VW again. My friend has a VW Bug and she has the same issues (and more).

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality and durability of the interior.

Lemon
By t shirt man

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

New car had to be jump started in showroom I should have known not to take it. They told me it was from the doors being left open. I've had the car three weeks,I got to drive it for 8 days. They say it's a short in the clock but the part has to be made in Germany. I guess I should have bought the magic beans that Jack bought because I would have believed that sooner. No Help from VW Hotline also. I asked for my money back or a new car, they said you bought the beans now you are stuck with them. As of my car they still do not know when it will be repaired. PLEASE DO NOT BUY VW.

Favorite Features

The stories you here from VW about where they have to get the part.

Suggested Improvements

Quit the LIES

Volkswagen Golf GL
By Chris Flores

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car. Well thought out design, and ergonomics. Very good balance with engine size and size of the car. Excellent accelerating power. Compared to a Honda Civic, it handles much better on the road.

Favorite Features

From shifting to braking and maneuvering, it drives like a poorman's race car, not to mention the excellent acceleration power.

Suggested Improvements

The dashboard could be designed so that one could place something there without it falling off.

Fun and efficient
By Viking Golfer

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I needed a second car, I tried a number of used cars, but I fell in love with the Golf. When I returned it back to the dealership, I had a huge grin on my face. :) I love how they at Volkswagen let me test drive it alone. It had all the features I wanted, at an affordable price, and it is fun to drive. The choice was simple. $13K, brand new.

Favorite Features

Airbags everywhere, ABS, fun to drive, good safety ratings, compact, fits everywhere! Good torque, cruises up and down the hills in 5th.

Suggested Improvements

28MPG - could be better. Different layout of the manual transmission, I hardly ever use 4th. The 5th covers everything, but makes 70mph more noisy than necessary.

Good German Car
By IloveCarz1081

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was undecided about what kind of car I wanted I looked at everything from honda to hyundai. At the end of the day I just wanted something like a mercedes or bmw, but i didnt want to spend that much although I could afford it, therefor I am using VW, cheaper payment plus same fun

Favorite Features

-engine speed/ torque -illumination -sound system -build quality -standard equiptment -fun

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, maybe in am not shifting into 5th as often as i should, this car is fun to drive but means using more gas to goose it, no other complaints