2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
A genuinely great car!
By colin1444 on 02/14/14 15:53 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Got this for my first car. I've wanted one for a very long time, and I bought it with 95,600 miles and a clean service history record. Not a problem since, just regular maintenance. Drives like a little sports car, and the trunk is huge for a car this size. I love how light and agile it is. It might be slow, but it's more fun to drive slow cars fast than fast cars slow! I would definitely recommend this to anyone, especially since it comes in two- or four-door models. Without a doubt, one of the most well-made cars out there. NICE JOB VW!

Fun Car to Drive, Lacks Performance
By bb0029 on 08/27/10 19:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I drive this car about 50 miles a day to and from work. Comfortable ride and overall a pleasure to drive. This car makes the daily commute bearable for me.

Interior falls apart in 2 years
By Krista on 10/19/08 08:03 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First, the car drives great and has good gas mileage. I purchased a VW based on its reputation for quality. After owning the car for almost 4 years, I am not sure how VW got this reputation. The interior begins to fall apart after 2 years. I live in Florida so the heat could be part of the problem, but many other manufacturers have managed to make a car that withstands the heat. The interior fabric on the door is coming off. The plastic melts and scratches. I am extremely disappointed and will never purchase a VW again. My friend has a VW Bug and she has the same issues (and more).

Great for 30,000 miles, then problems
By Andy on 08/26/07 09:06 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had always wanted a VW Golf and after driving several comparable models, researching (not good enough, apparently) I decided on a 2004 VW Golf GLS. 5 speed tranny, everything else needed was standard - big selling point. The first 30,000 miles clicked by without fail or problems. But along the 32,000 mile mark, my ECT light came on, and after a few trips to a dealer, the problem persisted. The result of the light coming on was that the car operated at around 60% of its power, with cruise not working and as you ascend any hill, you can't even grab a gear to accelerate. Finally sold the car (took a big hit) and bought a Toyota - what I should have done in the first place. No more VWs.

GOLF - Gorgeous-Outstanding-Lovable-Fun
By viyes on 06/16/06 08:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2004.5 Golf, white-4D, 2L 17"- 235R45 Pirelli-ZR, gets 28 mpg! It is GORGEOUS! It has a class looking exterior and interior finish. It is OUTSTANDING! It has great performance rain on shine and great road handling. It is LOVABLE. It has stereo precision, adjustable front seats, and freezing A/C. It is FUN. It's a great workhorse. It is my performance commuter car!

Love the Handling, hate the problems.
By J.Gree on 07/01/05 13:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2004 Golf GLS, automatic. Since the date of delivery, I have had nothing but problems with the car. It is back at the dealership constantly, and on several occasions, has been back more than one time for the same problem. The car is very comfortable, safe, and I love how it handles, however, it is not reliable, and has a lot of electrical problems. Needed a new driver's side seat bracket, coil in driver's seat had to be repaired, faulty cooling sensor, problem with the alarm sounding after closing the trunk and opening the driver's door, I am on my second cd player, and it is not working properly (got it installed yesterday), problems getting the car out of park, etc.

Wonderful Car
By mdtgr on 03/09/05 14:13 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car I have owned- it is fun to drive, gets OK gas mileage (the Golf is actually quite a heavy sturdy car so it won't be as good as say a Civic), and has a huge array of safety features. It handles great in the snow and never misses a beat in the cold weather. Best of all is the storage room when you put the back seats down. For $15K, you can't beat it!

Great 1st car for my daughter
By lfbmdpc on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought 04 Golf 4Dr GL w/AT @ $14,232 + tax/tags after $2K dealer rebate making this an extraordinary buy given safety features (head/side/door & curtain airbags). Car is fun to drive, fast (but not too fast for a 16yo driver), well equipped and appointed even in the base model. Negatives = history of poor reliability (altho' improving as of 2003 per consumer reports ratings), dash switchwork seems a bit flimsy. However car comes with 4y/50K bumper-to-bumper warranty and "free" roadside service. I've owned audi's, BMW's, porsche's & MB's and this cars germanic roots shine thru even when compared to it's more expensive brethren. I bought this for my daughter, but I drive it every chance I can.

Great Car
By olliemae on 09/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car. Handles great but rides a little hard but that adds to the fun. Even with 2.0L good power for everyday driving. Moonsoon Sound system is above average but not great especally for a 200 watts system. A little small compared to many others similar models. But overall you will know why this is the top seller in Europe.

Golf Grrl
By g4oxygen on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Golf, and while it's not as flashy as some other compacts, its practical, peppy and super fun to drive. It really defines me.