Used 2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

A genuinely great car!
By colin1444

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Got this for my first car. I've wanted one for a very long time, and I bought it with 95,600 miles and a clean service history record. Not a problem since, just regular maintenance. Drives like a little sports car, and the trunk is huge for a car this size. I love how light and agile it is. It might be slow, but it's more fun to drive slow cars fast than fast cars slow! I would definitely recommend this to anyone, especially since it comes in two- or four-door models. Without a doubt, one of the most well-made cars out there. NICE JOB VW!

Favorite Features

Handling / Steering, Gas Mileage, Safety, Quality

Suggested Improvements

(Allegedly) marginal reliability, small rear seat, a bit of body roll when cornering, pretty slow

Fun Car to Drive, Lacks Performance
By bb0029

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I drive this car about 50 miles a day to and from work. Comfortable ride and overall a pleasure to drive. This car makes the daily commute bearable for me.

Favorite Features

I like the "cockpit" feel and the easy to see and read gauges. Sporty feel to it as well. If you drive it like a normal human being you can get close to 30 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

The 2.0 L automatic lacks power. They should of just used the 1.8 L with a small turbo. My biggest complaint is the plastic gears they continue to use in the window regulators.

Interior falls apart in 2 years
By Krista

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First, the car drives great and has good gas mileage. I purchased a VW based on its reputation for quality. After owning the car for almost 4 years, I am not sure how VW got this reputation. The interior begins to fall apart after 2 years. I live in Florida so the heat could be part of the problem, but many other manufacturers have managed to make a car that withstands the heat. The interior fabric on the door is coming off. The plastic melts and scratches. I am extremely disappointed and will never purchase a VW again. My friend has a VW Bug and she has the same issues (and more).

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality and durability of the interior.

Great for 30,000 miles, then problems
By Andy

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had always wanted a VW Golf and after driving several comparable models, researching (not good enough, apparently) I decided on a 2004 VW Golf GLS. 5 speed tranny, everything else needed was standard - big selling point. The first 30,000 miles clicked by without fail or problems. But along the 32,000 mile mark, my ECT light came on, and after a few trips to a dealer, the problem persisted. The result of the light coming on was that the car operated at around 60% of its power, with cruise not working and as you ascend any hill, you can't even grab a gear to accelerate. Finally sold the car (took a big hit) and bought a Toyota - what I should have done in the first place. No more VWs.

Favorite Features

Transmission, fun-to-drive feel, hatchbacks are great!

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality and reliability - tremendous let down when only 37,000 miles gets on the odo and you have a few dealers tell you they can't fix the problem - ECT.

GOLF - Gorgeous-Outstanding-Lovable-Fun
By viyes

2004 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2004.5 Golf, white-4D, 2L 17"- 235R45 Pirelli-ZR, gets 28 mpg! It is GORGEOUS! It has a class looking exterior and interior finish. It is OUTSTANDING! It has great performance rain on shine and great road handling. It is LOVABLE. It has stereo precision, adjustable front seats, and freezing A/C. It is FUN. It's a great workhorse. It is my performance commuter car!

Favorite Features

The great air conditioning, black interior. and great handling. I love the sound of the engine with the windows down! I am still lovin' my Golf after 2 years!

Suggested Improvements

For the price -NONE at all!