2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Lots of miles
By mnoeltne on 02/25/08 10:37 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I now have 122,000 miles on my 04 Golf TDI in only 3.5 years. Overall it's been a great car. Excellent fuel economy, good performance, especially in the mountains, and surprisingly reliable. I say surprising because a lot of people come down on VWs for bad reliability. I can say that has not been the case for my car. Just routine maintenance, and a couple of recalls. And even Toyota has recalls. My wife has a Toyota Corolla, but I strongly prefer to drive my VW. It has a better ride, and much more comfortable seating positions than the Toyota. Once I put another 150,000 miles or so on this one, I will probably buy another.

A fantastic economical car
By dretal on 01/12/08 07:40 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I used my golf diesel to tow trailers and all I need to setup and race motorcycles throughout Canada. I never had any problems, and the diesel engine had no problems towing the loaded car and trailer at 130 KM/hr. We love the car. In winter, we park it inside our heated (10°C) garage, avoiding any cold-weather startup issues, but when it does sleep outside, I've never had problems starting it.

GOLF TDI!
By HotSauce on 02/22/07 15:49 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had my Golf GLS TDI for three years now and I love it. The diesel engine runs great. I use biodiesel for fuel and average 38-42 miles/gal. The turbo provides quick pick up. The manual transmission is fun to drive. It has enough trunk space for storage. It is the perfect car for day to day commuting and to able to fit into tight parking spaces. As with many VW diesel cars the engines will last forever, but the small electrical components are not reliable.

Everything I Hoped It Would Be
By VWinMD on 09/04/05 13:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had this car for just over a year. It's been a great ride. Frankly, it's been perfect. The size is perfect for city driving. The power and ride are excellent on the highway. The build quality rivals the fit and finish of much more expensive cars. The seats are very comfortable. The sound system is excellent. The rear seats and hatchback make this car very practical. As for fuel mileage, I'm happy. Having an AT diminishes the mpg (I'm getting as low as 33 and as much as 38), but it's still better than most. The turbo deisel runs smooth, quiet, and has lots of torque. If your looking at buying a small car, you can't go wrong with this one.

16 months with my tdi golf
By bill's golf on 07/11/05 20:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We have driven our Golf 21000 miles. We bought it in March of 2004. Our average mileage is 37 to 38 miles a gallon. On the highway we get in the low forties. The car is fun to drive. It handles beautifully on the interstate or on back roads. The engine has plenty of power. When we want at pass, we pass. We liked the seats.They have good back support. We bought the Golf because it was a diesel and because it has a hatchback. Our sixty pound dog rides there when we travel. We think we bought the right car for our purposes.

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS
By boblom on 02/26/05 14:02 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car is great fun to drive, but to get 40 mpg you must drive like grandma and not take it over 65 on the parkway with the cruise control on. Con's: gas tank marker is not indacated on the fule gage. fuel gage never reads full. So I set my trip guage and at 400 miles i place 10 gallons of fuel in it. It should have had electric defroster in windshield for cold weather package and the heated washer fluid system still froze when it was cold outside. Needs more power should have had the bigger oil burner in it like it big brother. Otherwise I'm a happy camper so far.

Rudolph Would be Proud
By Dragofan on 12/28/04 14:42 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Diesels are notorious for being hard to start, but my Golf has been flawless in -20ºF temps. Sure, it lets you know that it's a diesel when it starts in cold weather, but it has never refused to start. The car is fun to drive for the most part and I've seen up to 52 mpg. For those looking for an economy car with a manual transmission, don't pass up a test drive of the Golf!

Buy It
By Maxwell the dog. on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have 83000 miles on my TDI Golf - I am original owner and put all mileage on it myself. I average 46 miles per gallon - 52 if cruise is set on 72 for 3 hour+ drives! Extremely comfortable, fun to drive, reliable, - still in love with the car after 80K miles - thats a feat for me! Love the car - what else can I say.

Can't go wrong with a TDI golf
By Ears on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought a golf TDI and it has been the best car I have ever owned. The car gets around 50 miles per gallon running on diesel fuel which in some cases is considerable cheaper than gasoline. The car's interior is beutifully designed and very used friendly. The stock sound system is incredible. The only downfall is the performance. The car stock doesn't have all the much power, but for a diesel it does out-do many of its competitors in the performance category. But hey if u want speed go buy a corvette, if you want reliable efficiency buy a golf TDI, you won't regret it.

Love our TDI Golf
By xxdoty on 07/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We researched vehicles for 7 months before deciding on the Golf! Hardly any car met our critera: good fuel economy, reliable, in the low $20's, side curtain airbags (this was a biggie which most cars don't offer) and fun to drive. The Golf met all these plus we got heated seats and a sunroof thrown in! We're VERY happy with our purchase and also received a $1000 customer loyalty rebate from VW because we currently own a 2000 Jetta which we love. The VW rear hatch bike rack is great(rather than a roof mounted rack) since we do tons of mountain biking. Oh by the way, we're planning on buying the materials to make our own biodiesel fuel soon :)