2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
The best car I have ever owned
By dennycreekls on 12/11/10 17:03 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

My Golf 2.0 (2004) Automatic 2 Dr. Hatchback is the best little car I have every owned. I bought the car with only 3000 miles on it--it now has 36,000 and still purrs. It rides clean and very quiet--the interior is pretty--the exterior sporty. NOTHING HAS EVER GONE WRONG WITH MY LITTLE BABY GOLF. I put the gas mileage at around 38 MPG/on HWY-little less in city (I don't do city though) The only item that needed to be replaced from 3000-36,000 miles was my battery because I drive the car from the Pacific Northwest to Arizona at least 3-4 times a year. In AZ the battery gets sucked dry fast in the heat and humidity. Only other car that compares to the Golf was my Honda Odyssey.

Great Car!!
By copper on 05/09/08 05:25 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Bought my tdi Golf new in 2004, and currently have 156,000kms on the odometer. The car has always been serviced as required, and only synthetic oil changes every 8000 km. The car is peppy around town, and great on the highways. I drive approx. 40,000 km per year, mostly highway, but also a good portion in city. The car is very reliable, I have never had any problems with it at all. Just had the timing belt replaced as per the schedule. Never had a problem with cold starts. Runs every time. Very reliable even with a full load, and no problems passing going uphill. Great car.

Painfully unreliable
By Peter on 04/04/08 18:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We liked it all till we had it a week. The weather turned cold. The car had no heat, replaced the computer. Had to go back numerous times to find the problem. Still not good heat. Would not start. Ignition key assembly replaced. Glow plugs quit. Other electrical controls faulty. Car jerks and bucks. Transmission controls were replaced through a complete removal, repair, replace. Still not fixed. Very noisy rubber bushings in the rear were replaced but needs it again. Economy is about 38-40 mpg, not the 65 that was advertised. There are numerous annoying squeaks and rattles in the dash and front doors. VW dealership is trying, and the warranty is still working. Ouch!

Lots of miles
By mnoeltne on 02/25/08 10:37 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I now have 122,000 miles on my 04 Golf TDI in only 3.5 years. Overall it's been a great car. Excellent fuel economy, good performance, especially in the mountains, and surprisingly reliable. I say surprising because a lot of people come down on VWs for bad reliability. I can say that has not been the case for my car. Just routine maintenance, and a couple of recalls. And even Toyota has recalls. My wife has a Toyota Corolla, but I strongly prefer to drive my VW. It has a better ride, and much more comfortable seating positions than the Toyota. Once I put another 150,000 miles or so on this one, I will probably buy another.

A fantastic economical car
By dretal on 01/12/08 07:40 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I used my golf diesel to tow trailers and all I need to setup and race motorcycles throughout Canada. I never had any problems, and the diesel engine had no problems towing the loaded car and trailer at 130 KM/hr. We love the car. In winter, we park it inside our heated (10°C) garage, avoiding any cold-weather startup issues, but when it does sleep outside, I've never had problems starting it.

GOLF TDI!
By HotSauce on 02/22/07 15:49 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had my Golf GLS TDI for three years now and I love it. The diesel engine runs great. I use biodiesel for fuel and average 38-42 miles/gal. The turbo provides quick pick up. The manual transmission is fun to drive. It has enough trunk space for storage. It is the perfect car for day to day commuting and to able to fit into tight parking spaces. As with many VW diesel cars the engines will last forever, but the small electrical components are not reliable.

Close but No Cigar
By Finch on 02/08/07 12:57 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The Gold GL TDI is fun to drive, gets great fuel mileage, and has a reasonable price. I want to keep this car forever, but the electrical system is lacks reliability. I've had two airbag sensors needed replaced, one air bag, O2 sensor, thermostat, and a fuel pump. All of which were covered under warranty, but this leaves the question of keeping the car after the warranty has expired. If I had to pay for these things it would be the worst experience I've ever had with a car used or new. I'm at 49,000 miles now and cannot decide if I should keep the car or not.

Everything I Hoped It Would Be
By VWinMD on 09/04/05 13:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had this car for just over a year. It's been a great ride. Frankly, it's been perfect. The size is perfect for city driving. The power and ride are excellent on the highway. The build quality rivals the fit and finish of much more expensive cars. The seats are very comfortable. The sound system is excellent. The rear seats and hatchback make this car very practical. As for fuel mileage, I'm happy. Having an AT diminishes the mpg (I'm getting as low as 33 and as much as 38), but it's still better than most. The turbo deisel runs smooth, quiet, and has lots of torque. If your looking at buying a small car, you can't go wrong with this one.

16 months with my tdi golf
By bill's golf on 07/11/05 20:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We have driven our Golf 21000 miles. We bought it in March of 2004. Our average mileage is 37 to 38 miles a gallon. On the highway we get in the low forties. The car is fun to drive. It handles beautifully on the interstate or on back roads. The engine has plenty of power. When we want at pass, we pass. We liked the seats.They have good back support. We bought the Golf because it was a diesel and because it has a hatchback. Our sixty pound dog rides there when we travel. We think we bought the right car for our purposes.

Very happy
By Caleb on 07/11/05 12:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This has been the best car i have owned. all the performance i need and the comfort. fuel mileage has been unbeleivable. i drove from vancouver bc to calgary alberta on one tank of fuel.