Used 2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Lots of miles
By mnoeltne

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I now have 122,000 miles on my 04 Golf TDI in only 3.5 years. Overall it's been a great car. Excellent fuel economy, good performance, especially in the mountains, and surprisingly reliable. I say surprising because a lot of people come down on VWs for bad reliability. I can say that has not been the case for my car. Just routine maintenance, and a couple of recalls. And even Toyota has recalls. My wife has a Toyota Corolla, but I strongly prefer to drive my VW. It has a better ride, and much more comfortable seating positions than the Toyota. Once I put another 150,000 miles or so on this one, I will probably buy another.

Favorite Features

Great economy, and good power with the diesel. Excellent ride for this size vehicle.

A fantastic economical car
By dretal

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I used my golf diesel to tow trailers and all I need to setup and race motorcycles throughout Canada. I never had any problems, and the diesel engine had no problems towing the loaded car and trailer at 130 KM/hr. We love the car. In winter, we park it inside our heated (10C) garage, avoiding any cold-weather startup issues, but when it does sleep outside, I've never had problems starting it.

Favorite Features

diesel engine, comfort, handling, precise steering, solid frame.

Suggested Improvements

speakers are not well balanced. I would select another colour THAN BLACK, and the washer fluid spaiyer are in the way when deicing the windshield.

GOLF TDI!
By HotSauce

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had my Golf GLS TDI for three years now and I love it. The diesel engine runs great. I use biodiesel for fuel and average 38-42 miles/gal. The turbo provides quick pick up. The manual transmission is fun to drive. It has enough trunk space for storage. It is the perfect car for day to day commuting and to able to fit into tight parking spaces. As with many VW diesel cars the engines will last forever, but the small electrical components are not reliable.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage is awesome. I get 500-600 miles on one tank of biodiesel! I love the Monsoon speakers, manual transmission, and the interior/exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Add a front seat arm rest. The sunroof broke six times before the dealership could figure out what went wrong. Oil changes are expensive. The seats are a little hard on long trips.

Everything I Hoped It Would Be
By VWinMD

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had this car for just over a year. It's been a great ride. Frankly, it's been perfect. The size is perfect for city driving. The power and ride are excellent on the highway. The build quality rivals the fit and finish of much more expensive cars. The seats are very comfortable. The sound system is excellent. The rear seats and hatchback make this car very practical. As for fuel mileage, I'm happy. Having an AT diminishes the mpg (I'm getting as low as 33 and as much as 38), but it's still better than most. The turbo deisel runs smooth, quiet, and has lots of torque. If your looking at buying a small car, you can't go wrong with this one.

Favorite Features

It's all good... comfortable, fun to drive, tight build, nice sound system, good mileage.

Suggested Improvements

If I have to say something... folding down the rear seats can be a bit of a hassle, but I've only done that once since I've had it.

16 months with my tdi golf
By bill's golf

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We have driven our Golf 21000 miles. We bought it in March of 2004. Our average mileage is 37 to 38 miles a gallon. On the highway we get in the low forties. The car is fun to drive. It handles beautifully on the interstate or on back roads. The engine has plenty of power. When we want at pass, we pass. We liked the seats.They have good back support. We bought the Golf because it was a diesel and because it has a hatchback. Our sixty pound dog rides there when we travel. We think we bought the right car for our purposes.

Favorite Features

The car is fun to drive. It is responsive and it holds the road.

Suggested Improvements

The odometer is difficult to read in daylight. I suggest a better location with larger numbers. The clock is easy to read. The heater and airconditioner controls are difficult to use. They should be relocated.