2004 Volkswagen Golf GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2004 Golf Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Sort Reviews by

A genuinely great car!
By colin1444

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Got this for my first car. I've wanted one for a very long time, and I bought it with 95,600 miles and a clean service history record. Not a problem since, just regular maintenance. Drives like a little sports car, and the trunk is huge for a car this size. I love how light and agile it is. It might be slow, but it's more fun to drive slow cars fast than fast cars slow! I would definitely recommend this to anyone, especially since it comes in two- or four-door models. Without a doubt, one of the most well-made cars out there. NICE JOB VW!

Favorite Features

Handling / Steering, Gas Mileage, Safety, Quality

Suggested Improvements

(Allegedly) marginal reliability, small rear seat, a bit of body roll when cornering, pretty slow

The best car I have ever owned
By dennycreekls

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

My Golf 2.0 (2004) Automatic 2 Dr. Hatchback is the best little car I have every owned. I bought the car with only 3000 miles on it--it now has 36,000 and still purrs. It rides clean and very quiet--the interior is pretty--the exterior sporty. NOTHING HAS EVER GONE WRONG WITH MY LITTLE BABY GOLF. I put the gas mileage at around 38 MPG/on HWY-little less in city (I don't do city though) The only item that needed to be replaced from 3000-36,000 miles was my battery because I drive the car from the Pacific Northwest to Arizona at least 3-4 times a year. In AZ the battery gets sucked dry fast in the heat and humidity. Only other car that compares to the Golf was my Honda Odyssey.

Favorite Features

The engine is so darn quiet. Cup holders and gadgets just seem to be in the right places. Great gas mileage. It is a cute looking little car.

Fun Car to Drive, Lacks Performance
By bb0029

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I drive this car about 50 miles a day to and from work. Comfortable ride and overall a pleasure to drive. This car makes the daily commute bearable for me.

Favorite Features

I like the "cockpit" feel and the easy to see and read gauges. Sporty feel to it as well. If you drive it like a normal human being you can get close to 30 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

The 2.0 L automatic lacks power. They should of just used the 1.8 L with a small turbo. My biggest complaint is the plastic gears they continue to use in the window regulators.

Interior falls apart in 2 years
By Krista

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First, the car drives great and has good gas mileage. I purchased a VW based on its reputation for quality. After owning the car for almost 4 years, I am not sure how VW got this reputation. The interior begins to fall apart after 2 years. I live in Florida so the heat could be part of the problem, but many other manufacturers have managed to make a car that withstands the heat. The interior fabric on the door is coming off. The plastic melts and scratches. I am extremely disappointed and will never purchase a VW again. My friend has a VW Bug and she has the same issues (and more).

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality and durability of the interior.

Great Car!!
By copper

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Bought my tdi Golf new in 2004, and currently have 156,000kms on the odometer. The car has always been serviced as required, and only synthetic oil changes every 8000 km. The car is peppy around town, and great on the highways. I drive approx. 40,000 km per year, mostly highway, but also a good portion in city. The car is very reliable, I have never had any problems with it at all. Just had the timing belt replaced as per the schedule. Never had a problem with cold starts. Runs every time. Very reliable even with a full load, and no problems passing going uphill. Great car.

Favorite Features

The 5 speed is sporty, and makes driving more enjoyable. Passing the long lines at gas stations is also fun!! The savings from using diesel are also good!!

Suggested Improvements

No problems to speak of, however, maybe a navigation system would be useful.

Painfully unreliable
By Peter

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We liked it all till we had it a week. The weather turned cold. The car had no heat, replaced the computer. Had to go back numerous times to find the problem. Still not good heat. Would not start. Ignition key assembly replaced. Glow plugs quit. Other electrical controls faulty. Car jerks and bucks. Transmission controls were replaced through a complete removal, repair, replace. Still not fixed. Very noisy rubber bushings in the rear were replaced but needs it again. Economy is about 38-40 mpg, not the 65 that was advertised. There are numerous annoying squeaks and rattles in the dash and front doors. VW dealership is trying, and the warranty is still working. Ouch!

Favorite Features

Attractive design. Nice handling, good brakes. Love the dash lights and design. Good cruise controls, and headlights. Fair visibility all around. Heated seats are excellent

Suggested Improvements

Electrical system needs a serious overhaul for dependability. Power seats would be welcome. Options for GPS, compass, mileage etc. A more comfortably designed seat, a bit softer and more adjustable, as well as more easily adjustable. Tilt steering.

Lots of miles
By mnoeltne

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I now have 122,000 miles on my 04 Golf TDI in only 3.5 years. Overall it's been a great car. Excellent fuel economy, good performance, especially in the mountains, and surprisingly reliable. I say surprising because a lot of people come down on VWs for bad reliability. I can say that has not been the case for my car. Just routine maintenance, and a couple of recalls. And even Toyota has recalls. My wife has a Toyota Corolla, but I strongly prefer to drive my VW. It has a better ride, and much more comfortable seating positions than the Toyota. Once I put another 150,000 miles or so on this one, I will probably buy another.

Favorite Features

Great economy, and good power with the diesel. Excellent ride for this size vehicle.

A fantastic economical car
By dretal

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I used my golf diesel to tow trailers and all I need to setup and race motorcycles throughout Canada. I never had any problems, and the diesel engine had no problems towing the loaded car and trailer at 130 KM/hr. We love the car. In winter, we park it inside our heated (10C) garage, avoiding any cold-weather startup issues, but when it does sleep outside, I've never had problems starting it.

Favorite Features

diesel engine, comfort, handling, precise steering, solid frame.

Suggested Improvements

speakers are not well balanced. I would select another colour THAN BLACK, and the washer fluid spaiyer are in the way when deicing the windshield.

Great for 30,000 miles, then problems
By Andy

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had always wanted a VW Golf and after driving several comparable models, researching (not good enough, apparently) I decided on a 2004 VW Golf GLS. 5 speed tranny, everything else needed was standard - big selling point. The first 30,000 miles clicked by without fail or problems. But along the 32,000 mile mark, my ECT light came on, and after a few trips to a dealer, the problem persisted. The result of the light coming on was that the car operated at around 60% of its power, with cruise not working and as you ascend any hill, you can't even grab a gear to accelerate. Finally sold the car (took a big hit) and bought a Toyota - what I should have done in the first place. No more VWs.

Favorite Features

Transmission, fun-to-drive feel, hatchbacks are great!

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality and reliability - tremendous let down when only 37,000 miles gets on the odo and you have a few dealers tell you they can't fix the problem - ECT.

GOLF TDI!
By HotSauce

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had my Golf GLS TDI for three years now and I love it. The diesel engine runs great. I use biodiesel for fuel and average 38-42 miles/gal. The turbo provides quick pick up. The manual transmission is fun to drive. It has enough trunk space for storage. It is the perfect car for day to day commuting and to able to fit into tight parking spaces. As with many VW diesel cars the engines will last forever, but the small electrical components are not reliable.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage is awesome. I get 500-600 miles on one tank of biodiesel! I love the Monsoon speakers, manual transmission, and the interior/exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Add a front seat arm rest. The sunroof broke six times before the dealership could figure out what went wrong. Oil changes are expensive. The seats are a little hard on long trips.