Used 2004 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

A genuinely great car!
By colin1444

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Got this for my first car. I've wanted one for a very long time, and I bought it with 95,600 miles and a clean service history record. Not a problem since, just regular maintenance. Drives like a little sports car, and the trunk is huge for a car this size. I love how light and agile it is. It might be slow, but it's more fun to drive slow cars fast than fast cars slow! I would definitely recommend this to anyone, especially since it comes in two- or four-door models. Without a doubt, one of the most well-made cars out there. NICE JOB VW!

Handling / Steering, Gas Mileage, Safety, Quality

(Allegedly) marginal reliability, small rear seat, a bit of body roll when cornering, pretty slow

The best car I have ever owned
By dennycreekls

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

My Golf 2.0 (2004) Automatic 2 Dr. Hatchback is the best little car I have every owned. I bought the car with only 3000 miles on it--it now has 36,000 and still purrs. It rides clean and very quiet--the interior is pretty--the exterior sporty. NOTHING HAS EVER GONE WRONG WITH MY LITTLE BABY GOLF. I put the gas mileage at around 38 MPG/on HWY-little less in city (I don't do city though) The only item that needed to be replaced from 3000-36,000 miles was my battery because I drive the car from the Pacific Northwest to Arizona at least 3-4 times a year. In AZ the battery gets sucked dry fast in the heat and humidity. Only other car that compares to the Golf was my Honda Odyssey.

The engine is so darn quiet. Cup holders and gadgets just seem to be in the right places. Great gas mileage. It is a cute looking little car.

Fun Car to Drive, Lacks Performance
By bb0029

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I drive this car about 50 miles a day to and from work. Comfortable ride and overall a pleasure to drive. This car makes the daily commute bearable for me.

I like the "cockpit" feel and the easy to see and read gauges. Sporty feel to it as well. If you drive it like a normal human being you can get close to 30 mpg.

The 2.0 L automatic lacks power. They should of just used the 1.8 L with a small turbo. My biggest complaint is the plastic gears they continue to use in the window regulators.

Interior falls apart in 2 years
By Krista

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First, the car drives great and has good gas mileage. I purchased a VW based on its reputation for quality. After owning the car for almost 4 years, I am not sure how VW got this reputation. The interior begins to fall apart after 2 years. I live in Florida so the heat could be part of the problem, but many other manufacturers have managed to make a car that withstands the heat. The interior fabric on the door is coming off. The plastic melts and scratches. I am extremely disappointed and will never purchase a VW again. My friend has a VW Bug and she has the same issues (and more).

Improve the quality and durability of the interior.

Great Car!!
By copper

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Bought my tdi Golf new in 2004, and currently have 156,000kms on the odometer. The car has always been serviced as required, and only synthetic oil changes every 8000 km. The car is peppy around town, and great on the highways. I drive approx. 40,000 km per year, mostly highway, but also a good portion in city. The car is very reliable, I have never had any problems with it at all. Just had the timing belt replaced as per the schedule. Never had a problem with cold starts. Runs every time. Very reliable even with a full load, and no problems passing going uphill. Great car.

The 5 speed is sporty, and makes driving more enjoyable. Passing the long lines at gas stations is also fun!! The savings from using diesel are also good!!

No problems to speak of, however, maybe a navigation system would be useful.