TDI LOng May It survuve
By Lewshel on
2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)
I tested 8 other cars, almost buying my fifth Mazda but the Protege was buzzy and the new 6, although most impressive, was larger than I prefer. I wanted better mileage and a better ride in small car and the VW had those qualities. I had owned a 1976 Rabbit which was fun to drive. This car, 1000 lbs heavier, is smoother and quieter. Only at cold temperatures or at a stoplight are you aware that it's a diesel. The seats and most controls are first rate with good quality materials. It has excellent cruising ability, good Monsoon sound system and an easy to use sunroof.
Favorite Features
Fun and 53 mpg on the highway. The exterior design is a classic, an upgrade on the original Guigiaro design.I look forward to 200,000 miles on this car.
Suggested Improvements
Cupholders,armrest and adjustment for the seatback angle are hard to use.I would have paid another $250 for a power seat. A spoiler for the back window should be standard. I sewed a leather cover on the wheel and I am replacing the shift knob as the textures are not to my liking.