I'm very glad i bought this car
By refloyd on
2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I bought this car new and have mostly used this for city driving. I haul a lot of stuff. I'm a paint contractor and I do work in decorative concrete. I can fit my little giant ladders inside the vehicle, and other ladders on my roof rack. It handles a lot of sacks of concrete, with no adverse effects on braking, handling. I can get 8' 2x4s in there also. I've gotten 4 sheets of 3/4 ply on the roof and still an easy drive. Its surprising just how much this can haul. This is a fantastic Urban car. The best, imho. Enough power to hit the highways in the burbs. Short enough to parallel park in tight spots. Amble space for groceries. And great mpg for city.
Favorite Features
1.size vs cargo space. there's a lot of bang for your buck here. 2. length. i can park this puppy anywhere. 3. fold down seats. 4. the spare tire is a real tire, not a temp. 4. foldable side mirrors. a must for city parking.
Suggested Improvements
I would rubberize the storage area and back of the fold down seats. The leather stick shift cover should be redesigned to have less abrasion. I'd actually prefer it to be a little bit boxier the cupholder for the 2003 version is a bit pathetic. It's fixed in newer models.