Used 2003 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

well worth spending your money on a golf
By Nemanja.C

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I owne a Golf GL 1994, i got it in 1996 with only 45,000km on it, for a good price. Ever since then i love the car its been great driving it. Good performance, fast good on gas, a nice looking car in general. Did some mods. on it but overall to be honest i would be lying to you if i didnt said this car is the best car on the market today.

Favorite Features

Hatchback, tint windows, lowered, Alpine system 12" type R 400w/each with an Alpine amp 1000w. Alpine 3473 cdR

Suggested Improvements

More hours power would be good but, i can live without that.

Excellent Vehicle
By Widdsfly

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this vehicle to replace my 1997 S10 and I couldn't be happier. The power is adequate, the mileage is excellent, and overall it seems to be one of the best vehicles I have owned.

Favorite Features

The TDi engine, the Monsoon sound system, and the build quility of the vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Better Cup holders

One Cool Little Hatchback!
By beeminbobby

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Man, this little car is really cool. It's no speed demon (it doesn't "accelerate" quickly), but it does have great torque. We dropped the back seats, loaded it up with camping gear and drove up to the mountains without a glitch or moment of hesitation going up the grades. It's all about the torque! I'm very impressed with how much this car holds, and with how well the interior was designed in order to accomodate so much cargo. I'm also very impressed with the build\materials quality, especially in the interior. Plus, it has a very nice, quiet, comfortable ride at all speeds.

Favorite Features

Comprehensive list of standard features (usually options with the competition), interior cargo capacity, build quality, the multitude of standard safety features, blue and red dash lights, ride quality, price, 4-year/50,000 mile warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in dash are a joke (they obscure the radio controls when opened), no center armrest.

Classic and cool
By wxcruiser

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

I often read that this car was pricy when comparing it to the competetors, Focus, MP5, Matrix, Vibe..... but in reality, its a great deal. VW puts so much on the Golf as standard, where the competion will sell a really stripped down model. Put all the features you would want onto the car, and the Golf is very competative, and more refined in my opinion. It drives great, feels classy, and with TDI gets great fuel economy, and lots of pep. Its unfortunate more US car makers do not yet have the diesel option, though that should change once we get the cleaner diesel in the states.

Favorite Features

Turbo Diesel engine, and blue/red lights on the dash.

Suggested Improvements

Kinda funky placement of the cup- holder, and the center console storage box is a joke.

Golf Fun, even after Audi A4
By Bob E.

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After owning an Audi A4, I am surprisingly happy with the Golf. The handling, quietness and comfort are very close to the A4. I was disappointed at first with the fuel mileage, but after slowing down to 65 MPH on the highway, I actually got 40 MPG. My only complaint is that 5th gear revs too high. At 65 MPH, I'm at 3200 RPM.

Favorite Features

Handling, comfort, quietness, standard features.

Suggested Improvements

5th gear should be turning less than 3200 RPM at 65 MPH.