Used 2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

It's my 3-d VW Golf. May be the last.
By MrBob

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's my 3-d VW Golf at a row and may be the last. I bought it slightly used, just because I want to have German assembled Golf. And what I find out - each new Golf generation increasing driving fun and loosing QUALITY. So far it's a first time when I'm considering to buy another car but not Golf5.

Handelling on a road. More standard features than I need to have. Perfect sound.

VW must work on quality to save customers , who's changing one Golf to a New Golf.

Test drive before you buy a competitor
By Aexcorp

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car, even with it's not so impressive specs (115hp and not an amazing amount of torque) is quite amazing to drive. I have the 5 speed manual, and I can tell you, it's sportive if you drive it right (downshifts...). The build quality is excellent, all comes standard, it's near perfection. I have read the reviews on this site, and most people say it's not powerful enough, but most (editor and users) have an auto box. What in God's name do you expect from that... Take a spin in a 5speed manual and you will realize the hidden potential.

Amazing performences (compared with price and even other more expensive cars (driving a Saab Aero appart from the Golf); Well built; Amazing handling; Predictable behaviour (front wheel drive); Nice interior

Oil change schedualed at 2k miles; less expensive services (for it's price range); maybe a 2l with 4 or 5 valves (not 8 like now) and Variable Valve Timing; 15 to 20 more hp to be perfect.

Perfect small car
By ilikegermancars

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Luckily for me, my mother loved the car just as much as i did and she was willing to part with her money in order for me to have a car. I've had the car for about a month now and i really enjoy it. It blows a civic and any ford out of the water. The sound system is immaculate, and the cabin is much better designed than my fathers civic and siblings fords. I look foward to see how it will perform five years from now. For the meantime though, i'm gonna enjoy my vw.

Sound System, standard features, heated seats. Interior lighting.

Gas mileage isn't much to brag about. Maybe a wider stance. (my golf clubs won't fit in the car unless i put part of the back seat down)

golfmania
By RGLAMR

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I test drove the honda civic, mazda 6, and a couple of other predomanatly asian builtcars, and nothing against those companys but the vw blows all of them out of the water, can't compare that german engineering.

my favorite features of this car is the whole interior, the fun drive.Another favorite feature about this car are the endless possibilities of enhancing the performance and overall look.

the only suggeested improvment i can think of is that all models should come standerd w/ arm rests

my golf
By taz

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

very nice and fun to drive in manual

love yhe pinch protection