2003 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews 5

2003 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
well worth spending your money on a golf
By Nemanja.C on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I owne a Golf GL 1994, i got it in 1996 with only 45,000km on it, for a good price. Ever since then i love the car its been great driving it. Good performance, fast good on gas, a nice looking car in general. Did some mods. on it but overall to be honest i would be lying to you if i didnt said this car is the best car on the market today.

Excellent Vehicle
By Widdsfly on 10/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this vehicle to replace my 1997 S10 and I couldn't be happier. The power is adequate, the mileage is excellent, and overall it seems to be one of the best vehicles I have owned.

One Cool Little Hatchback!
By beeminbobby on 10/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Man, this little car is really cool. It's no speed demon (it doesn't "accelerate" quickly), but it does have great torque. We dropped the back seats, loaded it up with camping gear and drove up to the mountains without a glitch or moment of hesitation going up the grades. It's all about the torque! I'm very impressed with how much this car holds, and with how well the interior was designed in order to accomodate so much cargo. I'm also very impressed with the build\materials quality, especially in the interior. Plus, it has a very nice, quiet, comfortable ride at all speeds.

Classic and cool
By wxcruiser on 09/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

I often read that this car was pricy when comparing it to the competetors, Focus, MP5, Matrix, Vibe..... but in reality, its a great deal. VW puts so much on the Golf as standard, where the competion will sell a really stripped down model. Put all the features you would want onto the car, and the Golf is very competative, and more refined in my opinion. It drives great, feels classy, and with TDI gets great fuel economy, and lots of pep. Its unfortunate more US car makers do not yet have the diesel option, though that should change once we get the cleaner diesel in the states.

Golf Fun, even after Audi A4
By Bob E. on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After owning an Audi A4, I am surprisingly happy with the Golf. The handling, quietness and comfort are very close to the A4. I was disappointed at first with the fuel mileage, but after slowing down to 65 MPH on the highway, I actually got 40 MPG. My only complaint is that 5th gear revs too high. At 65 MPH, I'm at 3200 RPM.

Awsome
By golfie2003 on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

great car, fun to drive, quick ,stylish, loads of options for both exterior and interior,I'd say a 10

VWGOLF GL 2003
By Apache1969 on 09/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is our third VW and our second Golf dating back to 1997. We loved our 1997 K2. It performed very well and saved us a lot of money on owning and operating costs. We have a 1999 Cabrio GLX that has been great and just bought a 2003 Golf GL. We didn't think they could improve on a great product, but they did. We expect years of economical, fun service out of this golf as well. We consider it a best bet for all around utility, comfort, economy and reliability.

VW isn't what it used to be!!!
By 2002 TDI - FL on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I don't know if consumer reports and all the people complaining of problems are cry'n wolf...??? My car has had multiple problems since day one! I am pretty sure VW-DE is at fault, whether the car comes from Germany or South America. My trani and motor came from Germany and both have had serious problems. My trani was replaced (main bearing and 5th gear syncron shot), my fuel injection pump was replaced, and not to mention all the other lil things that were replaced. Two thumbs down for the Golf. Hope the R32 and the MKV will be better. Message for the German's: "stop sending us crap, were catch'n on to you!"

Great car
By supersolidasp on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

Great car, have almost 8000 miles on it already and no problems. Insane fuel economy, runs great!. Real perk for anyone the likes a peppy car and good fuel economy. Car is designed very well and it fun. On a trip to New york from Montana drove for 1 and a half days almost nonstop. Did not feel stiffly sore or pained after spending almost 800 miles at a time in car. Just stretched and felt great. Was perfect for trip, and for 5000 miles only took about 80$ The diesel is also very torquey and can climb steep grades in 5th gear and even accelerate where standard gas engines can't! Love it!

another VW purchase
By nicole and jason on 08/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love VWs! I have only owned Volkswagens. I recently purchased a brand new 2003 Golf GLS and I am having a wonderful time. It drives smooth, it's reliable, and it's sporty. Chaplin's dealership provided EXCELLENT service. Carter did not!