2003 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
TDI
By JoanieChachie on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had this car for almost five months now, and have had no problems. The car gets about 48 mpg and is a lot of fun to drive. While it seems that getting a reliable VW is a crapshoot these days, I don't regret this purchase at all.

Great pull uphill and well balanced feel
By niedernhausen on 01/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Power steering pump slaves and makes noise on low idle tight turns. Turning radius larger than expected. Mercedes and Volvo are bigger cars and can turn in less space. Rear wiper has plastic nozzle cap that can clog with road salt. Pry plastic cover off and pull out nozzle and clean. Cruise control solid, anti-pinch windows great, turning key in door lock to put all windows down when entering in summer superb turn key other way to put all windows up

My 3rd
By Sammyyou on 01/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't had a single problem with my golfs,owened 3 of them and all i had to do is normal oil change and brakes. the only thing is the rear seat space,i'm sure it'll be better in the 2004 new style, MY 4th Golf..

03 Golf
By pete63 on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After coming out of an 01 Honda Civic I must say that the Golf is a much better value. I had always liked VW's but never owned one. I test drove the Golf and Jetta. Both were awesome cars. For the price VW loads the options on. The only thing that VW could improve is the gas mileage.

See ya' GM!
By cjfab4 on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Big 3 failures forced me into options. I'll never even consider anything but a TDI after buying this one. It's great! Someone called it a "updated Gremlin" the other day. That's okay, 'cause every time I see the recall notices for the 'Big 3' makers, I thank my lucky stars for selecting VW.

Golf TDI
By dunas cardunas on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car has been "Top Notch". I am 6' and 275lbs and bought this car because of comfort. I have logged 21K mostly long trips and have been very pleased with the ride and comfort levels. Plus the TDI has returned an avg fuel economy of 47.5 mpg. Better than I ever expected. Make sure you buy the 5 speed. The auto is a little sluggish, but the manual offers plenty of giddy-up on the highway.

Fool me ONCE !!!
By Kirk Miller on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Apparently I am one of the few individuals that have had trouble with the Golf, but I assure you, it has been nothing but trouble. Although it drives ok and handles about the same, it certainly has its problems. The check engine light always seems to be on and impossible for the VW dealership to fix. Plus, the power window cables keep breaking causing me to take it once again back to the dealership. Grrr What a waste of time and energy. VW certainly fooled me.

Love it.
By Ebcourmoon on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Peppy, and responsive. Stylish, and convenient. Fun to drive, can't say enough good things about this car. The dealership where I bought this car is great also. I recommend this cat to everyone.

Great Car
By calvinebox on 11/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first VW and I love it! Test- drive it and you will buy it. If you are interested in Golf, go and get a GL instead of GLS because the sunroof actually cut off the interior height above your head. It was amazing I got a 110 speeding ticket when I was trying to test the performance of my new car. It can run stably around 80-90.

Love it
By VW Driver on 11/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. This is my third VW and I just love driving it. It's very different from my previous Civic. The Golf handles better, takes corners faster, less body lean, feels more solid than the flimsy Honda (although it's a great car too.) It's no BMW, but it also doesn't costs like a BMW. The hatchback is just a bonus. When I flip down the backseats, the trunk space is huge, definitely a lot bigger than the trunk of a regular sedan.