2003 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
One word: Boring.
By Bahumut on 10/11/05 09:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've read all the reviews for the 2003 VW Golf GL on this site, and I can't tell if everyone is over the age of 60 or just emotionally tired, but this car puts me to sleep at the wheel, and often! The 120 HP engine is fast enough for me, thus the GL works, but if I had test driven the car longer, I would have realized the the suspension is really, really tame. The car wallows in turns, the back end (even with the short wheelbase)trembles mid corner, and the nose dives under the most gentle of braking. If I could choose a VW again, it'd cope with the reliability problems of the turbocharger and buy the GTi. Other than the performance issues, the standard kit is surprisingly nice for the price.

This car's been a dream...knock on wood.
By Got_diesel? on 01/18/05 19:56 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Stand Trans a must with this engine. ONLY FUN-TO-DRIVE ECONOMY CAR W/ PERSONALITY ON THE MARKET. Chassis so solid, drives like a dream. Great crash test ratings make me feel safer than I would on truck/SUV-strewn roads. Interior easy on the eyes. Seats need better lumbar support, and velour upholstry sucks. As GLS owner, I suggest sticking w/ the GL. GLS options aren't as well-designed as rest of car. Big-picture: 26K problem- free mi in first 12 mos w/ average 45- 47 MPG, and starts down to -55F here in ND has convinced me of the overall value and sound design of this car - esp. that engine!

5speed manual a must!
By Steve Theisen on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wow i got an '03 2.0L first day i was liting up the tires, whoah!, what a fun car. The 5 speed gave the car so much more spunk compared to the automatic. (I took both for test drives unless you get the tiptronic auto the car is lame!) The handling is just excellent but than again what else would you expect from the best of the best German autos (VW, AUDI, BMW) you always have excellent handling and no lack of power. Also remember 5k miles for oil is way too much. Trust people that have 270k+ miles on there car.

Pure Driving Pleasure
By countrygirl on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We love our Golf. It handles like a dream. We took ours for a vacation to visit our son in South Carolina. We took the scenic route and went through the mountains. It went up the mountains without a hint of hesitation and you want to talk about economy...it didn't even cost us $50 to go over 1400 miles. There is plenty of room for packing a double tent along with suitcases. I would certainly recommend this car to anyone.

Zippy and efficient
By asimovian on 08/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I don't think I understood how much fun torque could be to play with until I bought this zippy little diesel. Blowing past folks on steeps hills without having to downshift is more entertaining than I would have expected. The features that come with the car are great, the interior is well designed, and it's suprisingly roomy for our big and tall friends. On the one year anniversary of our purchase, I'd have to say we're very pleased.

Squeaking nightmare
By AlexH on 07/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We upgraded to this one-year-old Golf from VW Polo. There is not as much legroom as you expect from a bigger car – a bit more for your head, compared to the Polo. Driver and passenger sitting positions are far too high – you feel like falling out of the car every corner (the new Golf V is better). We have the TDI Match edition in UK it has Alloys, CD, radio, Central locking, Electric windows, Air Con, Alarm and Immobiliser which is almost full Christmas wish list fulfilled. Driving this car is a nightmare especially in summer the car (where the interior panels warm up in sunshine and expand) we had to go to the dealer to fix this...

Golf
By dleecycles on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a super fun drive. Lots of interior room with the seats down. The car gets pretty good gas mileage.

48MPG
By samson on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Idrive 25000 miles per year and get 48 MPG. Diesel fuel is now 15 cents cheaper than regular gas.

I should have bought one years ago!
By boatdznr on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased my 2003 4dr.Golf TDI automatic new, nearly a year ago.I now have 19K miles on it. The TDI has excellent power. We use it like an SUV. Half the time we are hauling kids, and the other half of the time we have the rear seats down and have it loaded with supplies. I'm 6'1",it has legroom to spare. I drive this car hard, lots of stop/go, on/off, when on the freeway it's always 80 mph. Even with this torture, I get a combined 31 mpg. The value of many cars more than twice the price.

Love my GLS
By Dave in Bay Area on 01/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Researched different cars on Edmunds, glad I did! I even got it at the TMV price with Monsoon system, sunroof, Alloys, and winter package. Seat warmers are nice even in California! I am very happy with the design, "feels" better than other cars I test drove. Plenty of power... if I wanted more I would have gotten the turbo, but that might mean more maintenance$. Nice to have all the airbags also.