Used 2003 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

VW solid dependability
By CRinCO

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have owned my Golf TDI GLS for about 2.5 years and it has been a great car. It's tough, it's fun, it's well built and sturdy, and it is tremendous with fuel mileage. I love everything but the seats. The driver's seat (for me) is not as comfortable as my old Mercedes but, I will find, and pay the expense for, a set of GTI heated leather seats for this car. It's not worth getting rid of the car! I am a taller/big guy and I still fit in this car and it's road handling and performance is magnificent. Buy one of these, you won't regret it! -CR

Favorite Features

I used to install stereos as a teenager and the Monsoon stereo is a great sounding system for factory. The only thing I did was cap the door & dash speakers at 100 Hz. I added a removable amped box of 12"s and I have an awesome thumper with no distortion.

Suggested Improvements

A better lumbar system for the front seats.

TDi Rocks My Socks
By THNDR-CK

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The car's not that pretty or that much fun to drive on a hot summer day compared to a BMW convertible, but it beats everything else as a daily driver/commuter. I've gotten 750+ miles off of a single 12-gallon tank with a manual transmission (62.5 mpg). When driving in the city for the full tank, I still get over 50 mpg. Since the car is a diesel with gobs of torque, you don't have to downshift that often on hills, even when loaded with gear. There is lots of room in the car, enough for three friends, a dog, and camping gear.

Favorite Features

The diesel engine is the best, as is how easy it is to maintain the car. The engine bay is cramped, but it's a tiny car which is to be expected. However, it's easier to do the maintenance yourself and save several hundred bucks instead of going to a dealership. The car is a great bargain!

Suggested Improvements

The car could do with a bit more power, but you'd sacrifice fuel economy so it's a good trade. If you want more power, there are a few modifications you can do to it. I prefer a chip modification because you're actually get more power and torque with better fuel economy if done correctly.

So glad I bought this car!
By Jamie

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love, love this car! It travels well, and provides great diesel mileage of course. I have had little problem with it. My only complaint is that it is designed so that a dealership has to do most of the basic maintenance.

Favorite Features

Diesel mileage, road hug, driving, ease of parking, spacious cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

Needs to be more user friendly on the basics, i.e., bulb changing, oil changes and filters.

Best Car I've Owned
By VeeDubber

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. In the past I owned a '95 Honda Accord and a '98 Jeep Cherokee. The Golf has been a lot more reliable than either of those. It has plenty of horsepower for me. I drive 64 miles round trip to and from work and it gets great gas mileage. I'll definitely go with another VW when it comes time to get a new car.

Favorite Features

I love the styling of the car. The seats are really comfortable on long trips. Has plenty of luggage space for a small car. Very surprised how much actually fit in the hatch on my first trip with it.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is good, but needs a larger fuel tank. Radio reception isn't all that great.

Great Car
By sachin

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2003 Volkswagen Golf is great. It gets excellent gas mileage, about 600 miles per tank of fuel.

Suggested Improvements

Change the placement of the cup holder.