Used 2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Great Little Car
By weebs86

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great! I love everything about it but the main reason why I'm writing this review is because of the lack of information about the audio system online. My car has the Monsoon system, and man oh man, is it awesome. I have a friend who has a Chevy Trailblazer with the Bose system and this thing is seriously just as good. Here are the specs, straight from the owners manual: 4 tweeters at 20 Watts each (Two in front, two in back), 2 Woofers (Front Doors) at 30 Watts Each and - get this - 2 Subwoofers at 30 watts each (rear doors) = 180 total watts. Sure, 60 watts for the combined subs doesn't quite match aftermarket subs of 1000s of watts, but TRUST me, you'll be plenty happy.

Favorite Features

Like I said, I like everything about the car. The neat little sun blocker above the rear-view mirror, the handling, and the quality of the materials is superb. The Premium Velor seating is very nice too.

Suggested Improvements

A little more engine power would be nice, but I have no real need for speed so it isn't a huge deal.

Best Car I've Owned
By VeeDubber

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. In the past I owned a '95 Honda Accord and a '98 Jeep Cherokee. The Golf has been a lot more reliable than either of those. It has plenty of horsepower for me. I drive 64 miles round trip to and from work and it gets great gas mileage. I'll definitely go with another VW when it comes time to get a new car.

Favorite Features

I love the styling of the car. The seats are really comfortable on long trips. Has plenty of luggage space for a small car. Very surprised how much actually fit in the hatch on my first trip with it.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is good, but needs a larger fuel tank. Radio reception isn't all that great.

Great City Car
By charles huff

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my 1993 5-speed Golf for a used 2003 VW Golf 2-door hatchback, auto, 2.0L,silver, and WOW what a car. Its handling is great. It is very comfortable to drive. It makes city driving less of a stop and go nuisance as it is with a stick. The smooth transmission just glides all over the city. Its handling on the freeway is like flying an airplane. This car is easy to drive and park.

Favorite Features

I like how it has lots of room, a nice interior, is easy to park, and has ZIP around the city.

Suggested Improvements

VW must keep the interior cabin noise to a minimum. On a hard rough road / street with pot holes, be careful.

Perfectly Fine Car
By fried003

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2003 Volkswagen Golf is a solid car. It is nothing special, but it's very reliable and solid. It has all the basics.

Favorite Features

The remote door locks.

Suggested Improvements

To me, the cruise control is kind of ponderous to use.

One word: Boring.
By Bahumut

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've read all the reviews for the 2003 VW Golf GL on this site, and I can't tell if everyone is over the age of 60 or just emotionally tired, but this car puts me to sleep at the wheel, and often! The 120 HP engine is fast enough for me, thus the GL works, but if I had test driven the car longer, I would have realized the the suspension is really, really tame. The car wallows in turns, the back end (even with the short wheelbase)trembles mid corner, and the nose dives under the most gentle of braking. If I could choose a VW again, it'd cope with the reliability problems of the turbocharger and buy the GTi. Other than the performance issues, the standard kit is surprisingly nice for the price.

Favorite Features

Standard kit (radio features, seats, cargo space)

Suggested Improvements

Stiffer suspension. Not all Americans are unable to drive at any speed. The spring ratios are way to dumbed down in this car. My 86 Nissan / Datsun sentra wagon had more feel on the road...