2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
5speed manual a must!
By Steve Theisen on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wow i got an '03 2.0L first day i was liting up the tires, whoah!, what a fun car. The 5 speed gave the car so much more spunk compared to the automatic. (I took both for test drives unless you get the tiptronic auto the car is lame!) The handling is just excellent but than again what else would you expect from the best of the best German autos (VW, AUDI, BMW) you always have excellent handling and no lack of power. Also remember 5k miles for oil is way too much. Trust people that have 270k+ miles on there car.

Golf
By dleecycles on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a super fun drive. Lots of interior room with the seats down. The car gets pretty good gas mileage.

Love my GLS
By Dave in Bay Area on 01/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Researched different cars on Edmunds, glad I did! I even got it at the TMV price with Monsoon system, sunroof, Alloys, and winter package. Seat warmers are nice even in California! I am very happy with the design, "feels" better than other cars I test drove. Plenty of power... if I wanted more I would have gotten the turbo, but that might mean more maintenance$. Nice to have all the airbags also.

My 3rd
By Sammyyou on 01/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't had a single problem with my golfs,owened 3 of them and all i had to do is normal oil change and brakes. the only thing is the rear seat space,i'm sure it'll be better in the 2004 new style, MY 4th Golf..

03 Golf
By pete63 on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After coming out of an 01 Honda Civic I must say that the Golf is a much better value. I had always liked VW's but never owned one. I test drove the Golf and Jetta. Both were awesome cars. For the price VW loads the options on. The only thing that VW could improve is the gas mileage.

Fool me ONCE !!!
By Kirk Miller on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Apparently I am one of the few individuals that have had trouble with the Golf, but I assure you, it has been nothing but trouble. Although it drives ok and handles about the same, it certainly has its problems. The check engine light always seems to be on and impossible for the VW dealership to fix. Plus, the power window cables keep breaking causing me to take it once again back to the dealership. Grrr What a waste of time and energy. VW certainly fooled me.

Love it.
By Ebcourmoon on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Peppy, and responsive. Stylish, and convenient. Fun to drive, can't say enough good things about this car. The dealership where I bought this car is great also. I recommend this cat to everyone.

Great Car
By calvinebox on 11/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first VW and I love it! Test- drive it and you will buy it. If you are interested in Golf, go and get a GL instead of GLS because the sunroof actually cut off the interior height above your head. It was amazing I got a 110 speeding ticket when I was trying to test the performance of my new car. It can run stably around 80-90.

Love it
By VW Driver on 11/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. This is my third VW and I just love driving it. It's very different from my previous Civic. The Golf handles better, takes corners faster, less body lean, feels more solid than the flimsy Honda (although it's a great car too.) It's no BMW, but it also doesn't costs like a BMW. The hatchback is just a bonus. When I flip down the backseats, the trunk space is huge, definitely a lot bigger than the trunk of a regular sedan.

well worth spending your money on a golf
By Nemanja.C on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I owne a Golf GL 1994, i got it in 1996 with only 45,000km on it, for a good price. Ever since then i love the car its been great driving it. Good performance, fast good on gas, a nice looking car in general. Did some mods. on it but overall to be honest i would be lying to you if i didnt said this car is the best car on the market today.