Used 2003 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

I'm very glad i bought this car
By refloyd

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and have mostly used this for city driving. I haul a lot of stuff. I'm a paint contractor and I do work in decorative concrete. I can fit my little giant ladders inside the vehicle, and other ladders on my roof rack. It handles a lot of sacks of concrete, with no adverse effects on braking, handling. I can get 8' 2x4s in there also. I've gotten 4 sheets of 3/4 ply on the roof and still an easy drive. Its surprising just how much this can haul. This is a fantastic Urban car. The best, imho. Enough power to hit the highways in the burbs. Short enough to parallel park in tight spots. Amble space for groceries. And great mpg for city.

1.size vs cargo space. there's a lot of bang for your buck here. 2. length. i can park this puppy anywhere. 3. fold down seats. 4. the spare tire is a real tire, not a temp. 4. foldable side mirrors. a must for city parking.

I would rubberize the storage area and back of the fold down seats. The leather stick shift cover should be redesigned to have less abrasion. I'd actually prefer it to be a little bit boxier the cupholder for the 2003 version is a bit pathetic. It's fixed in newer models.

2003 VW Golf GL 2.0L
By Golf owner

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2003 vw golf GL 2.0L with only 35,000 miles on it. I love this car. Its not a sports car by all means, but even with just the 2.0L it goes like a bat outta hell. I was iffy on buying another VW because my sister has a 02' jetta 1.8t and to my knowledge of people whom have owned that engine. They hate it, always in & out the shop (mostly transmission problems and just everything goes wrong in it). Hints why I bought a 2.0L. LOVE IT There's always been VW in my family, dad had an old beetle, and a square back.

I love the Lights inside the car. The seats are really comfortable for me. Love love the candy white paint.

I would suggest more power. But it does need a bigger gas tank. Only has a 12.5gallon tank. Saves you money at the pump but would be nicer with a 16gallon for more mileage.

Constant costly repairs
By bozzo

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Original owner blew motor due to low oil and had a brand new 1.9l engine and turbo charger, decarbed, replaced EGR valve, water pump, timing belt and tensioner at 135,000 kms. At 160,00, replaced glow plug harness. 163,000 kms mass air low circuit replaced. I bought it with 172,000 kms on car and 35,000 on new motor. At 223,000 replaced front struts and mounts and sway bar bushing, 226,000 cleaned airtake manifold and carbon, new timing belt, water pump. 242,000 replaced fan motor for heater. At 302,000 engine light remains on and blowing some oil out somewhere and the alternator pully came off. Both are expensive repairs. Uncomfortable seats, and cheaply built - not worth the repair bills.

Good fuel economy, love the heated seats and mirrors.

More comfortable seats, be able to keep headrests on when putting down back seats, a lip over doors to prevent doors and hatchback from freezing. Better radio sound/speakers, interior material better quality, skid plate cover stronger material, electrical/computers system more reliable, rear wiper.

VW is a whole new standard of automobile
By VW4Life

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first economic vehicle, and my first Volkswagen. You can easily fit people inside, or lay the rear seats and fit lots of stuff inside. The quality of vehicle compared to all other makes is amazing. Everything from the drive to the notice to detail interior. This car is fun, stylish, reliable, and economic. Once you get in a VW you're hooked.

Too many to list.

None.

Great Little Car
By weebs86

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great! I love everything about it but the main reason why I'm writing this review is because of the lack of information about the audio system online. My car has the Monsoon system, and man oh man, is it awesome. I have a friend who has a Chevy Trailblazer with the Bose system and this thing is seriously just as good. Here are the specs, straight from the owners manual: 4 tweeters at 20 Watts each (Two in front, two in back), 2 Woofers (Front Doors) at 30 Watts Each and - get this - 2 Subwoofers at 30 watts each (rear doors) = 180 total watts. Sure, 60 watts for the combined subs doesn't quite match aftermarket subs of 1000s of watts, but TRUST me, you'll be plenty happy.

Like I said, I like everything about the car. The neat little sun blocker above the rear-view mirror, the handling, and the quality of the materials is superb. The Premium Velor seating is very nice too.

A little more engine power would be nice, but I have no real need for speed so it isn't a huge deal.