Used 2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Great Utilitarian Vehicle
By flyingpatricio

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 2003 Golf GLS for 3 years now. I bought it used with 10,200 miles on it. I've put 65,000 miles on it. I like how competent it feels no matter the conditions. It's heavy enough to feel safe on the freeway and light enough to get great mileage. I'm a paint contractor and I haul all my gear in it daily. It holds my Little Giant ladder with just the passenger front seat put down. I've even put 2'x8' wood planks in it and was able to shut the hatch. I call it my "clown car". When we go camping it holds all of our gear with ease...camp kitchen, coolers, coleman stove, sterilite tub, etc. My wife's 2010 Honda Insight can hold about half as much...really! In short...I love this car!

Suggested Improvements

Tiptronic

Buyer's Beware
By Remorseful Buyer

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2002. At first, everything was great. Good gas mileage. Sporty little car. Great for zipping around town and did well on road trips. However, it started having all sorts of problems after about 18-24 months, beginning with the "small" and annoying (head lights constantly burning out, display lights inexplicably going off and coming on, airbags needed replacement without ever having been used or the car being in an accident). Then, around 65,000 miles, the check engine light was constantly on. Then, the transmission blew and it needed a new timing belt, air sensor, alternator & more. It has cost me thousands to repair and has become a money pit.

Favorite Features

Holds an amazing amount of stuff. Good gas mileage. Comfortable to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Convenience features: better cup holder; option for leather interior; option for 6-disc CD changer, satellite radio & MP3 jack. Performance, reliability & mechanical: drastically improve the quality of mechanical parts & function. A car that has been used gently shouldn't be dying at 60,000+ miles.

I'm very glad i bought this car
By refloyd

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and have mostly used this for city driving. I haul a lot of stuff. I'm a paint contractor and I do work in decorative concrete. I can fit my little giant ladders inside the vehicle, and other ladders on my roof rack. It handles a lot of sacks of concrete, with no adverse effects on braking, handling. I can get 8' 2x4s in there also. I've gotten 4 sheets of 3/4 ply on the roof and still an easy drive. Its surprising just how much this can haul. This is a fantastic Urban car. The best, imho. Enough power to hit the highways in the burbs. Short enough to parallel park in tight spots. Amble space for groceries. And great mpg for city.

Favorite Features

1.size vs cargo space. there's a lot of bang for your buck here. 2. length. i can park this puppy anywhere. 3. fold down seats. 4. the spare tire is a real tire, not a temp. 4. foldable side mirrors. a must for city parking.

Suggested Improvements

I would rubberize the storage area and back of the fold down seats. The leather stick shift cover should be redesigned to have less abrasion. I'd actually prefer it to be a little bit boxier the cupholder for the 2003 version is a bit pathetic. It's fixed in newer models.

2003 VW Golf GL 2.0L
By Golf owner

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2003 vw golf GL 2.0L with only 35,000 miles on it. I love this car. Its not a sports car by all means, but even with just the 2.0L it goes like a bat outta hell. I was iffy on buying another VW because my sister has a 02' jetta 1.8t and to my knowledge of people whom have owned that engine. They hate it, always in & out the shop (mostly transmission problems and just everything goes wrong in it). Hints why I bought a 2.0L. LOVE IT There's always been VW in my family, dad had an old beetle, and a square back.

Favorite Features

I love the Lights inside the car. The seats are really comfortable for me. Love love the candy white paint.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest more power. But it does need a bigger gas tank. Only has a 12.5gallon tank. Saves you money at the pump but would be nicer with a 16gallon for more mileage.

VW is a whole new standard of automobile
By VW4Life

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first economic vehicle, and my first Volkswagen. You can easily fit people inside, or lay the rear seats and fit lots of stuff inside. The quality of vehicle compared to all other makes is amazing. Everything from the drive to the notice to detail interior. This car is fun, stylish, reliable, and economic. Once you get in a VW you're hooked.

Favorite Features

Too many to list.

Suggested Improvements

None.