2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Constant costly repairs
By bozzo on 02/18/09 13:48 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Original owner blew motor due to low oil and had a brand new 1.9l engine and turbo charger, decarbed, replaced EGR valve, water pump, timing belt and tensioner at 135,000 kms. At 160,00, replaced glow plug harness. 163,000 kms mass air low circuit replaced. I bought it with 172,000 kms on car and 35,000 on new motor. At 223,000 replaced front struts and mounts and sway bar bushing, 226,000 cleaned airtake manifold and carbon, new timing belt, water pump. 242,000 replaced fan motor for heater. At 302,000 engine light remains on and blowing some oil out somewhere and the alternator pully came off. Both are expensive repairs. Uncomfortable seats, and cheaply built - not worth the repair bills.

Buy one, you'l love it!
By DwightC on 07/02/08 20:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This 2003 Golf TDI is without a doubt THE most fun car to drive of all the cars that I've owned. (Actually, this is car #21). The diesel engine has tons of torque and really runs great matched with the manual transmission. The gears are smooth and shift even better than the Hondas I've owned. This TDI has a nice little wheeze when the turbo is heard, but that is only when the windows are open. I love the moon roof and the Monsoon radio- the best stock radio in any vehicle Ive had. I like the visibility, too. The seats are very comfortable. I get a reliable 45 mpg, and I drive 80 mph. The maintenance has been super low and Ive done most of it myself. I would buy another TDI without a doubt.

VW solid dependability
By CRinCO on 06/25/08 16:55 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have owned my Golf TDI GLS for about 2.5 years and it has been a great car. It's tough, it's fun, it's well built and sturdy, and it is tremendous with fuel mileage. I love everything but the seats. The driver's seat (for me) is not as comfortable as my old Mercedes but, I will find, and pay the expense for, a set of GTI heated leather seats for this car. It's not worth getting rid of the car! I am a taller/big guy and I still fit in this car and it's road handling and performance is magnificent. Buy one of these, you won't regret it! -CR

So glad I bought this car!
By Jamie on 07/03/07 12:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love, love this car! It travels well, and provides great diesel mileage of course. I have had little problem with it. My only complaint is that it is designed so that a dealership has to do most of the basic maintenance.

Great Car
By sachin on 03/01/07 12:51 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2003 Volkswagen Golf is great. It gets excellent gas mileage, about 600 miles per tank of fuel.

This car's been a dream...knock on wood.
By Got_diesel? on 01/18/05 19:56 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Stand Trans a must with this engine. ONLY FUN-TO-DRIVE ECONOMY CAR W/ PERSONALITY ON THE MARKET. Chassis so solid, drives like a dream. Great crash test ratings make me feel safer than I would on truck/SUV-strewn roads. Interior easy on the eyes. Seats need better lumbar support, and velour upholstry sucks. As GLS owner, I suggest sticking w/ the GL. GLS options aren't as well-designed as rest of car. Big-picture: 26K problem- free mi in first 12 mos w/ average 45- 47 MPG, and starts down to -55F here in ND has convinced me of the overall value and sound design of this car - esp. that engine!

Great pull uphill and well balanced feel
By niedernhausen on 01/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Power steering pump slaves and makes noise on low idle tight turns. Turning radius larger than expected. Mercedes and Volvo are bigger cars and can turn in less space. Rear wiper has plastic nozzle cap that can clog with road salt. Pry plastic cover off and pull out nozzle and clean. Cruise control solid, anti-pinch windows great, turning key in door lock to put all windows down when entering in summer superb turn key other way to put all windows up

See ya' GM!
By cjfab4 on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Big 3 failures forced me into options. I'll never even consider anything but a TDI after buying this one. It's great! Someone called it a "updated Gremlin" the other day. That's okay, 'cause every time I see the recall notices for the 'Big 3' makers, I thank my lucky stars for selecting VW.

Excellent Vehicle
By Widdsfly on 10/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this vehicle to replace my 1997 S10 and I couldn't be happier. The power is adequate, the mileage is excellent, and overall it seems to be one of the best vehicles I have owned.

My First impressions
By mikedaug on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My TDI Golf has drives very well. The Diesel motor pulls the car along quite well, and is very quiet.