2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Efficient and Reliable
By cannoncam on 01/04/11 19:14 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've got 221,000 miles on my TDI and it's running like it's got a quarter of the mileage on it. It's a great commuter and the gas mileage is what sells the car. It is a little under powered but for 45 mpg's the sacrifice is well worth it. The looks are good but not everyones cup of tea (I've upgraded a few things here and there and it is quite the little head turner). The interior is much nicer than most American or Japanese cars but it is pretty basic for a German car. The build quality is typical German excellence, rock solid. The drive is nice, great for the highway but not the most fun car to take on twisty roads. My advice, upgrade a few things and this car will be golden forever.

TDi Rocks My Socks
By THNDR-CK on 08/18/07 19:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The car's not that pretty or that much fun to drive on a hot summer day compared to a BMW convertible, but it beats everything else as a daily driver/commuter. I've gotten 750+ miles off of a single 12-gallon tank with a manual transmission (62.5 mpg). When driving in the city for the full tank, I still get over 50 mpg. Since the car is a diesel with gobs of torque, you don't have to downshift that often on hills, even when loaded with gear. There is lots of room in the car, enough for three friends, a dog, and camping gear.

Pure Driving Pleasure
By countrygirl on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We love our Golf. It handles like a dream. We took ours for a vacation to visit our son in South Carolina. We took the scenic route and went through the mountains. It went up the mountains without a hint of hesitation and you want to talk about economy...it didn't even cost us $50 to go over 1400 miles. There is plenty of room for packing a double tent along with suitcases. I would certainly recommend this car to anyone.

Zippy and efficient
By asimovian on 08/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I don't think I understood how much fun torque could be to play with until I bought this zippy little diesel. Blowing past folks on steeps hills without having to downshift is more entertaining than I would have expected. The features that come with the car are great, the interior is well designed, and it's suprisingly roomy for our big and tall friends. On the one year anniversary of our purchase, I'd have to say we're very pleased.

TDI
By JoanieChachie on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had this car for almost five months now, and have had no problems. The car gets about 48 mpg and is a lot of fun to drive. While it seems that getting a reliable VW is a crapshoot these days, I don't regret this purchase at all.

Golf TDI
By dunas cardunas on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car has been "Top Notch". I am 6' and 275lbs and bought this car because of comfort. I have logged 21K mostly long trips and have been very pleased with the ride and comfort levels. Plus the TDI has returned an avg fuel economy of 47.5 mpg. Better than I ever expected. Make sure you buy the 5 speed. The auto is a little sluggish, but the manual offers plenty of giddy-up on the highway.

VW isn't what it used to be!!!
By 2002 TDI - FL on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I don't know if consumer reports and all the people complaining of problems are cry'n wolf...??? My car has had multiple problems since day one! I am pretty sure VW-DE is at fault, whether the car comes from Germany or South America. My trani and motor came from Germany and both have had serious problems. My trani was replaced (main bearing and 5th gear syncron shot), my fuel injection pump was replaced, and not to mention all the other lil things that were replaced. Two thumbs down for the Golf. Hope the R32 and the MKV will be better. Message for the German's: "stop sending us crap, were catch'n on to you!"

VW TDI
By Mahmoud Itani on 12/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

I am very pleased with VW Golf TDI