Used 2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Efficient and Reliable
By cannoncam

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've got 221,000 miles on my TDI and it's running like it's got a quarter of the mileage on it. It's a great commuter and the gas mileage is what sells the car. It is a little under powered but for 45 mpg's the sacrifice is well worth it. The looks are good but not everyones cup of tea (I've upgraded a few things here and there and it is quite the little head turner). The interior is much nicer than most American or Japanese cars but it is pretty basic for a German car. The build quality is typical German excellence, rock solid. The drive is nice, great for the highway but not the most fun car to take on twisty roads. My advice, upgrade a few things and this car will be golden forever.

TDI engine (gas mileage and torque), hatch, looks, build quality, reliability

All wheel drive, nicer seats, more power

TDi Rocks My Socks
By THNDR-CK

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The car's not that pretty or that much fun to drive on a hot summer day compared to a BMW convertible, but it beats everything else as a daily driver/commuter. I've gotten 750+ miles off of a single 12-gallon tank with a manual transmission (62.5 mpg). When driving in the city for the full tank, I still get over 50 mpg. Since the car is a diesel with gobs of torque, you don't have to downshift that often on hills, even when loaded with gear. There is lots of room in the car, enough for three friends, a dog, and camping gear.

The diesel engine is the best, as is how easy it is to maintain the car. The engine bay is cramped, but it's a tiny car which is to be expected. However, it's easier to do the maintenance yourself and save several hundred bucks instead of going to a dealership. The car is a great bargain!

The car could do with a bit more power, but you'd sacrifice fuel economy so it's a good trade. If you want more power, there are a few modifications you can do to it. I prefer a chip modification because you're actually get more power and torque with better fuel economy if done correctly.

Pure Driving Pleasure
By countrygirl

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We love our Golf. It handles like a dream. We took ours for a vacation to visit our son in South Carolina. We took the scenic route and went through the mountains. It went up the mountains without a hint of hesitation and you want to talk about economy...it didn't even cost us $50 to go over 1400 miles. There is plenty of room for packing a double tent along with suitcases. I would certainly recommend this car to anyone.

We are tall and the Golf has alot of leg room in the front seats and they are very comfortable for long trips. Also, fuel mileage as my husband drives 100 miles round trip daily to go to and from work.

Rear seat area could stand to have more leg room.

Zippy and efficient
By asimovian

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I don't think I understood how much fun torque could be to play with until I bought this zippy little diesel. Blowing past folks on steeps hills without having to downshift is more entertaining than I would have expected. The features that come with the car are great, the interior is well designed, and it's suprisingly roomy for our big and tall friends. On the one year anniversary of our purchase, I'd have to say we're very pleased.

Fuel economy! A fun car shouldn't be able to approach 50mpg, but this one does!

Even thought 90hp works better in this car than it would in most others, it could still stand a little more. Later models have incorporated this.

TDI
By JoanieChachie

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had this car for almost five months now, and have had no problems. The car gets about 48 mpg and is a lot of fun to drive. While it seems that getting a reliable VW is a crapshoot these days, I don't regret this purchase at all.

Blue and red dash lights, excellent fuel economy, good braking.

Takes a while to heat up, but that's what you get with a diesel.