2003 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Great Utilitarian Vehicle
By flyingpatricio on 04/26/11 18:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 2003 Golf GLS for 3 years now. I bought it used with 10,200 miles on it. I've put 65,000 miles on it. I like how competent it feels no matter the conditions. It's heavy enough to feel safe on the freeway and light enough to get great mileage. I'm a paint contractor and I haul all my gear in it daily. It holds my Little Giant ladder with just the passenger front seat put down. I've even put 2'x8' wood planks in it and was able to shut the hatch. I call it my "clown car". When we go camping it holds all of our gear with ease...camp kitchen, coolers, coleman stove, sterilite tub, etc. My wife's 2010 Honda Insight can hold about half as much...really! In short...I love this car!

Efficient and Reliable
By cannoncam on 01/04/11 19:14 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've got 221,000 miles on my TDI and it's running like it's got a quarter of the mileage on it. It's a great commuter and the gas mileage is what sells the car. It is a little under powered but for 45 mpg's the sacrifice is well worth it. The looks are good but not everyones cup of tea (I've upgraded a few things here and there and it is quite the little head turner). The interior is much nicer than most American or Japanese cars but it is pretty basic for a German car. The build quality is typical German excellence, rock solid. The drive is nice, great for the highway but not the most fun car to take on twisty roads. My advice, upgrade a few things and this car will be golden forever.

Buyer's Beware
By Remorseful Buyer on 07/19/10 22:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2002. At first, everything was great. Good gas mileage. Sporty little car. Great for zipping around town and did well on road trips. However, it started having all sorts of problems after about 18-24 months, beginning with the "small" and annoying (head lights constantly burning out, display lights inexplicably going off and coming on, airbags needed replacement without ever having been used or the car being in an accident). Then, around 65,000 miles, the check engine light was constantly on. Then, the transmission blew and it needed a new timing belt, air sensor, alternator & more. It has cost me thousands to repair and has become a money pit.

I'm very glad i bought this car
By refloyd on 01/21/10 10:55 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and have mostly used this for city driving. I haul a lot of stuff. I'm a paint contractor and I do work in decorative concrete. I can fit my little giant ladders inside the vehicle, and other ladders on my roof rack. It handles a lot of sacks of concrete, with no adverse effects on braking, handling. I can get 8' 2x4s in there also. I've gotten 4 sheets of 3/4 ply on the roof and still an easy drive. Its surprising just how much this can haul. This is a fantastic Urban car. The best, imho. Enough power to hit the highways in the burbs. Short enough to parallel park in tight spots. Amble space for groceries. And great mpg for city.

2003 VW Golf GL 2.0L
By Golf owner on 07/14/09 03:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2003 vw golf GL 2.0L with only 35,000 miles on it. I love this car. Its not a sports car by all means, but even with just the 2.0L it goes like a bat outta hell. I was iffy on buying another VW because my sister has a 02' jetta 1.8t and to my knowledge of people whom have owned that engine. They hate it, always in & out the shop (mostly transmission problems and just everything goes wrong in it). Hints why I bought a 2.0L. LOVE IT There's always been VW in my family, dad had an old beetle, and a square back.

Constant costly repairs
By bozzo on 02/18/09 13:48 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Original owner blew motor due to low oil and had a brand new 1.9l engine and turbo charger, decarbed, replaced EGR valve, water pump, timing belt and tensioner at 135,000 kms. At 160,00, replaced glow plug harness. 163,000 kms mass air low circuit replaced. I bought it with 172,000 kms on car and 35,000 on new motor. At 223,000 replaced front struts and mounts and sway bar bushing, 226,000 cleaned airtake manifold and carbon, new timing belt, water pump. 242,000 replaced fan motor for heater. At 302,000 engine light remains on and blowing some oil out somewhere and the alternator pully came off. Both are expensive repairs. Uncomfortable seats, and cheaply built - not worth the repair bills.

VW is a whole new standard of automobile
By VW4Life on 09/08/08 19:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first economic vehicle, and my first Volkswagen. You can easily fit people inside, or lay the rear seats and fit lots of stuff inside. The quality of vehicle compared to all other makes is amazing. Everything from the drive to the notice to detail interior. This car is fun, stylish, reliable, and economic. Once you get in a VW you're hooked.

Great Little Car
By weebs86 on 09/03/08 17:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great! I love everything about it but the main reason why I'm writing this review is because of the lack of information about the audio system online. My car has the Monsoon system, and man oh man, is it awesome. I have a friend who has a Chevy Trailblazer with the Bose system and this thing is seriously just as good. Here are the specs, straight from the owners manual: 4 tweeters at 20 Watts each (Two in front, two in back), 2 Woofers (Front Doors) at 30 Watts Each and - get this - 2 Subwoofers at 30 watts each (rear doors) = 180 total watts. Sure, 60 watts for the combined subs doesn't quite match aftermarket subs of 1000s of watts, but TRUST me, you'll be plenty happy.

Buy one, you'l love it!
By DwightC on 07/02/08 20:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This 2003 Golf TDI is without a doubt THE most fun car to drive of all the cars that I've owned. (Actually, this is car #21). The diesel engine has tons of torque and really runs great matched with the manual transmission. The gears are smooth and shift even better than the Hondas I've owned. This TDI has a nice little wheeze when the turbo is heard, but that is only when the windows are open. I love the moon roof and the Monsoon radio- the best stock radio in any vehicle Ive had. I like the visibility, too. The seats are very comfortable. I get a reliable 45 mpg, and I drive 80 mph. The maintenance has been super low and Ive done most of it myself. I would buy another TDI without a doubt.

50 MPG Baby
By Ryan on 06/27/08 16:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This was the last year for safe Biodiesel use. Great car, keep it under 60, and get 60 MPG!