Used 2003 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Best car I owned
By Jovan

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car at auction in 2009 with 130000 miles on.I paid 2500 dollars (for ,then,6 years old )
Never had any problems with it ,super reliable.
Now it has 235000 miles and it still drives good.
I used synthetic oil. The fuel pump had to be replaced last year. Other than that only regular maintenance expenses (tires, brakes etc) still has the original clutch .Amazing

Always thought VW were known for their reliabilit.
By Jack

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I first bought my Golf it had 70k miles on it and I had every intention of driving it until 300k. Unfortunately at 148k that doesn't seem likely. For the first year i had it it went relatively alright, nothing too big. After that, it was all down hill. Almost all the knobs for the audio adjustments have broken off, the paint on the buttons and controls have all worn off, the ceiling lining it peeling off, the cloth padding on the doors is falling off, the hydraulic hood strut in the back has failed, not to mention the key fob wont unlock the trunk anymore, and that's just to name a few things. So far I've replaced the radiator, had several misfires, replaced 2 of the window clips (which have a history with failing resulting in your window falling off the track), the side mirror cover has fallen off on the highway twice, and not to mention it consumes oil like my gramps consumes whiskey. All in all, I've spent close to what I paid for it maintaining it, and that's only 80k miles in. Currently looking to sell it and get something more reliable.

Great Utilitarian Vehicle
By flyingpatricio

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 2003 Golf GLS for 3 years now. I bought it used with 10,200 miles on it. I've put 65,000 miles on it.

I like how competent it feels no matter the conditions. It's heavy enough to feel safe on the freeway and light enough to get great mileage.

I'm a paint contractor and I haul all my gear in it daily. It holds my Little Giant ladder with just the passenger front seat put down. I've even put 2'x8' wood planks in it and was able to shut the hatch. I call it my "clown car". When we go camping it holds all of our gear with ease...camp kitchen, coolers, coleman stove, sterilite tub, etc. My wife's 2010 Honda Insight can hold about half as much...really!

In short...I love this car!

Tiptronic

Efficient and Reliable
By cannoncam

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've got 221,000 miles on my TDI and it's running like it's got a quarter of the mileage on it. It's a great commuter and the gas mileage is what sells the car. It is a little under powered but for 45 mpg's the sacrifice is well worth it. The looks are good but not everyones cup of tea (I've upgraded a few things here and there and it is quite the little head turner). The interior is much nicer than most American or Japanese cars but it is pretty basic for a German car. The build quality is typical German excellence, rock solid. The drive is nice, great for the highway but not the most fun car to take on twisty roads.
My advice, upgrade a few things and this car will be golden forever.

TDI engine (gas mileage and torque), hatch, looks, build quality, reliability

All wheel drive, nicer seats, more power

Buyer's Beware
By Remorseful Buyer

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2002. At first, everything was great. Good gas mileage. Sporty little car. Great for zipping around town and did well on road trips. However, it started having all sorts of problems after about 18-24 months, beginning with the "small" and annoying (head lights constantly burning out, display lights inexplicably going off and coming on, airbags needed replacement without ever having been used or the car being in an accident). Then, around 65,000 miles, the check engine light was constantly on. Then, the transmission blew and it needed a new timing belt, air sensor, alternator & more. It has cost me thousands to repair and has become a money pit.

Holds an amazing amount of stuff. Good gas mileage. Comfortable to drive.

Convenience features: better cup holder; option for leather interior; option for 6-disc CD changer, satellite radio & MP3 jack. Performance, reliability & mechanical: drastically improve the quality of mechanical parts & function. A car that has been used gently shouldn't be dying at 60,000+ miles.