Good run
By little_eva on
2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)
Bought this car new after 14 great years with a Jetta. This car has more bells/whistles than the Jetta but is not as rugged, tho I have hauled more stuff in the Golf and done more city driving. But I have 105K on it and haven't had to do any major repairs except it now needs a timing belt. This car is fun to drive and comfortable as I am short, but it is difficult for passengers with long legs. The latch to allow trunk expansion over folded rear seats broke, which is inconvenient and I broke the antenna off on the excellent sound system which limits its radius - both pricey repairs but work arounds. Good maint from dealer.
Favorite Features
Fun to drive. Hugs road and responds well. Handles snow pretty well up to 5 inches. Good brakes. Lots of cargo space. Good sound system. Good temp controls. Impossible to lock yourself out. Good one-person car.
Suggested Improvements
Too many unnecessary lightbulbs. Cupholder in way of stereo. Doors always locking themselves. Limited legspace when cargo space expanded - pain to change around.