2002 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Review: Really happy with my first VW

2002 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Review

GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Really happy with my first VW
By mpayne on

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first exp. owning a VW and I am very pleased so far. This car is deceivingly roomy, esp. in the trunk. My Golf is so much fun to drive and it's great on gas mileage ( I always use midgrade gas, that seems to make a difference). I have had no problems with the service department, actually they have been very helpful. The only problems we've encountered so far are the doors freezing shut in the winter. The door seals on both front doors were ripped/broken in the process of trying to pry the doors open. Service dept. has taken care of this with no charge.

Favorite Features

This car is a lot of fun to drive. The interior blue dash is so cool and soothing when you're driving at night. If you can afford to get the Monsoon sound system it is definitely worth it! Love the body style and interior -- very comfortable and roomy for a compact car.

Suggested Improvements

Change design of shape so moisture, snow, rain don't get trapped in between door and frame -- doors can freeze shut. Change the seat recliner adjustor to a regular lever -- knob is too hard to turn to recline seat.