My 2nd update.
By 2fastdre on
2002 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)
I put another 16K miles on my TDI since we last spoke and I am still happy (although I did go through 2 unpleasant experiences). I had the front window problem: well, my window basically fell into the door when I was going about 70mph on the highway. The linkage broke (as VW vaguely warned) and nothing was holding it in place. They replaced both linkages with no questions. I had an EGR problem: the car would not start one morning - it would crank but no fire. Had to tow to dealer and they had to replace the EGR valve. For detailed info on EGR go to tdiclub website, but it basically got stuck in an open position and it prevented oxygen from entering. Warranty is great.
Favorite Features
Still the engine: 48 mpg average with city driving, and still effortless crusing and passing.
Suggested Improvements
Same suggestions as before plus relocate the cup holders into the center console (2005 Golf will have this). And relocate the cargo area light from the lower right to the ceiling (ceiling makes so much more sense for dealing with cargo in the dark).