I picked my new 2002 Golf GLS yesterday. I bought it 3 days ago for $15,200 without the taxes and extended warranty ($900 extra for 7 year, 75 K miles with road side assistance).
I'm an Audi fan, and had an old Audi before I decided to buy a new car. But I had to stick to the $16,000 range as I'm getting married. The Corolla, Civic and Sentra were possible choices.
All these cars had similar seating space except that the rear leg room for the golf is smaller by an inch. But the golf has a bigger cargo area.
1) More Std features like keyless entry, pwr win, A/C,CD, cassette, remote pwr htd mirrors, Alarm, ABS & Lumbar support.
2) Front, and 2 Side Air bags. excellent crash rating.
3) Cool Blue and Red lighting on the dash!
4) Sporty, Stylish looks and decent gas mileage.
* The cup holders are above the radio. So you cant adjust the radio controls with a drink in the cup holder!
† Edmunds.com received the highest numerical score in the proprietary J.D. Power 2014 Third-Party Automotive Website Evaluation Study℠. Results based on responses from 3,381 responses, measuring 14 companies and measures third-party automotive website usefulness among new and used vehicle shoppers. Proprietary study results are based on experiences and perceptions of owners surveyed from January 2014. Your experiences may vary. Visit jdpower.com.