2002 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Review: Great Ecomomy Car

2002 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Review

GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Manual)

Great Ecomomy Car
By millervez on

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is the first new car I have owned, and for the most part I have been very happy with it. My only complaints are associated with the build quality, and the electronic features. I had 3 warranty repairs (glow plug wireing, airbag wire harness, rear windsheild wiper wireing). Do you see a trend? The Monsoon stereo stopped working, and I had a glow plug go bad. Total spend to date on repairs, just over $200. I still love this car, despite it's little problems. You really can't beat it with anything in its class.

The fuel ecomomy (50+ mpg), the great quality ride, the suprising amount of low end torque, the full size spare tire, and the wonderful cold weather, highway, and mountain performance.

Eliminate the rattles from the low quality interior features, hire a new team of electrical engineers, make the cup holders more useable (not blocking the stereo), offer an all wheel drive version (my own personal obsession).