AWESOME CAR!
By doc5339 on
2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)
I never really liked Volkswagens, but I have really fallen in love with this car. I purchased the Golf with over 150,000 miles on it, and have no issues, other than scheduled maintenance and wear and tear replacement parts. Had to replace the Glow Plug Wiring Harness because it was throwing Codes. The car has over 215,000 miles on it now, and still gets 43 MPG average, 46+ highway; probably will get 50 MPG if you can force yourself to drive the speed limit on the highway. Why buy a hybrid, when the batteries will fail when this TDI engine is just hitting its peak? Unless you drive 100% city, stay away from hybrids, TDI is the route to go for great fuel economy and long-term durability.
Favorite Features
Fuel economy, fun to drive, lots of storage room in hatchback. Pretty comfortable for 4 people. Engine Durability is amazing! Get the Manual Transmission, not the Automatic. This HEUI Fuel Injection with VE Fuel Pump is perfect for Biodiesel or a WVO Conversion. If you want AWESOME mileage, get a TDI from 2000-2006. 2007+ models have all of the EPA particulate crap killing the fuel economy.
Suggested Improvements
Plastic quality is pretty bad overall. VW plastics have a de-lamination issue that they need to fix. I still see the same issue on 2012 VWs. The center armrest is crappy; I had to replace with a cheap Chinese copy of the same crappy quality. VW really should do better with the details.